Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Lost most recent "index.xar" website file in format of computer

I'm sorry if this has been answered before. I'm just freaking out somewhat. I just formatted my computer, and somehow I didn't backup my website .xar file. I had the website backed up from 3 months earlier. Well, my plan was to download the website back to my folders from the ftp site and replace all the old htm files and images. Can I somehow get the index.xar file to recognize all the current images and htm pages? Is the .xar file in the files at my ftp location? Or did I just loose 3 months of updates to the website? Any help would be much appreciated.
    Steps
    Last edited by steps; 09 March 2014 at 05:27 PM.
    I want to still be working in this program when I'm an old man sitting in my recliner.

Default Re: Lost most recent "index.xar" website file in format of computer

Consider this a valuable lesson learned. Flash drives and external hard drives are so inexpensive. Next time back up your files onto a back up drive first.

As you know, or now know, Xara is not an HTML editor, so the only way to modify an existing website is by making changes in the .xar or .web document and then republishing.

On the other hand, life often presents us with unexpected gifts, and you now have the opportunity to recreate your website, but at the same time (this is the gift part), to make all those changes you always wanted to make but never had the time to make.

If your website is on the web, go to each page and drag and drop the images onto your desktop and drag the images into a new website document.

Copy your text from the website and then paste it into Xara and format as needed.

This really is not as hard or daunting as it may seem. And as I not so facetiously mentioned, you can make improvements along the way.

Here's a link to an old Xara Xone Guest Tutorial that deals with this subject http://www.xaraxone.com/guest/guest91/

Alright Thanks Gary. Its not the end of the world. I was wanting to add a new button and category to the website. Its just basic updates that can be done in one day. I have the .xar file from 3 months ago, so I can go from there. I don't know how it didn't get backed up while getting ready to format. Oh well, rest for a day and get back in there. Thanks.
    I want to still be working in this program when I'm an old man sitting in my recliner.

Did you really name it index.xar?
    Is it possible you called it something else?
    Would you have changed its name at some point?
    Have you used Windows Search for any and all .XAR files?

Failing all the above, have you checked File > Open recent > Backups... for the last version saved?
    It will be index_<some_date_some_time>.web, usually sitting under L:\Users\<YOU>\AppData\Local\Xara\WebDesignerPremium\9.0\Backups or L:\Users\<YOU>\AppData\Local\Xara\XtremePro\9.2\Backups.

Acorn