Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

I received a response from this month's tutorial Rust Never Sleeps from a fellow named Jon who said politely, "THIS DOES NOT LOOK LIKE RUST AT ALL!"

WELL!!!

As much as I hate to admit it, it looks more aged and distressed than it does like rust.

So I challenged Jon (he checked the Advanced user button on the form) to show me his rust.

In the mean time, using the same techniques and much experimenting I came up with four more rust-like candidates.

Here are mine, let's see yours.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

he be ever botulism
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	more_rust.jpg 
Views:	1071 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	17512  

Hi Gary,

The detail and the look of the rust is excellent. Your ability to visual and then create this image is very impressive.

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Erik,
    I am not sure but it looks to me as though you used a wall shadow and not the "Glow" (the button farthest to the right) the wall shadow works fine for me. I was trying to get a uniform white translusent fuzz around the letters. I may go back and try a wall shadow, white and center it under that letters and make it large enough to show all round them. I will let you know if it works.
    John D

Gary,
    In my quest for readability I ran into somthing I have seen before but just ignored. I started out adding a shadow glow to the letters and making the glow white so that the black letters would stand out. You can adjust the size and density very nicely. However, the Glow must be very memory intensive as my system slows way, way down when ever I try to use it. It does not seem to do so with a wall shadow. Because of this I end up avoiding what should be a very useful feature. Has anyone else seen this?
    Any way I ended up using the contour tool set to one layer. That layer set to no line white and about 60% transparent which leaves the letters much more readable, but with a sharp edge I could do without.
    John D

But I found layers sepcially useful for cutting of pictures to pieces for web. In the separate layer (above the desing) I have transparent rectangles each named.. it's better than to name just some objects as Xara tends to cut desing to zillion pieces when you name just some elements.

Roman

I received a response from this month's tutorial Rust Never Sleeps from a fellow named Jon who said politely, "THIS DOES NOT LOOK LIKE RUST AT ALL!"

WELL!!!

As much as I hate to admit it, it looks more aged and distressed than it does like rust.

So I challenged Jon (he checked the Advanced user button on the form) to show me his rust.

In the mean time, using the same techniques and much experimenting I came up with four more rust-like candidates.

Here are mine, let's see yours.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

he be ever botulism

John

The first panel is fantastic! The second panel is less fantastic if your intention was readability.

I like the concept of the rust appearing through the metal but not at the expense of being able to read the text. Call me old fashioned, I guess. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    beehives to me blurs </a>

Funny, I was just about to post a long story about what I did (so far this summer). One of the results is this section of a 3' x 2' panel.
    I will post another also.
    John D

Name:	Cathodic_Protection_against_RUST.png 
Views:	355 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	3082  

I also have an extreme system slowdown with applying glow shadows, to the point where I just won't use it--xara will seem to freeze for several minutes, and other applications on my machine will slow down as well. I'm using NT 4.0 with 256 megs of RAM.

james
    ============================================
    James Riemermann
    MN Office of Tourism
    james.riemermann@state.mn.us

For travel info: www.exploreminnesota.com
    ============================================

I revised the original image. I am still building this so as I revise I'll post the revisions.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<A HREF="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester" TARGET=_blank>
    beehive us rob melt </A>

[This message was edited by Gary W. Priester on August 05, 2001 at 13:44.]

Name:	rusty_interface_2.jpg 
Views:	642 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	1548