Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Lots and lots of duplicate files

Hi everyone,

I've got an issue when exporting a website.

If I go and check the files in the final exported site I find that I have may "duplicate" files. I can go through the folder and delete them and evrything is fine. I've checked in my bitmap gallery and there are no extra files in it.

Is there anyway to avoid this when exporting?

What would cause this to happen in the first place?

Cheers,

Peter.

Default Re: Lots and lots of duplicate files

What Xara product are you using? My comments below are based on the more recent versions of Web Designer.

If you have checked Retina (Hi Def Images) in Website Properties > Website, and I believe this is the default setting, Web Designer will create two versions of each image, one at 96dpi and one at 192dpi (the retina hi def version). So in your index_htm_files folder, you will see something like this: 3.jpg, 3@2x.jpg.

Is this what you are seeing?

Another possibility is if you name your home page, index.html (by default the home page is just called index), then all your HTML document will have the .html file extension. If you have done this or have published your site in a different application, and then recreate your site in Web Designer and publish, by default Web Designer uses the .htm file extension. So this would explain why you could have a file about-us.htm, and about-us.html in the same folder.

If this is the case, be aware that any file with the same name and the .html extension will be loaded and the same named file with the .htm will not.

So if the last scenario is what is happening, then delete all the files from the folder on the server and republish your site.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    What Xara product are you using? My comments below are based on the more recent versions of Web Designer.

If you have checked Retina (Hi Def Images) in Website Properties > Website, and I believe this is the default setting, Web Designer will create two versions of each image, one at 96dpi and one at 192dpi (the retina hi def version). So in your index_htm_files folder, you will see something like this: 3.jpg, 3@2x.jpg.

Is this what you are seeing?

Another possibility is if you name your home page, index.html (by default the home page is just called index), then all your HTML document will have the .html file extension. If you have done this or have published your site in a different application, and then recreate your site in Web Designer and publish, by default Web Designer uses the .htm file extension. So this would explain why you could have a file about-us.htm, and about-us.html in the same folder.

If this is the case, be aware that any file with the same name and the .html extension will be loaded and the same named file with the .htm will not.

So if the last scenario is what is happening, then delete all the files from the folder on the server and republish your site.
    Hi Gary,

Thanks for the info. I've checked and its the first case that you mentioned. I had no idea about Retina.

I've republished with all the duplicate files in place.

Thanks for your input.

Much appreciated,

Peter.

Glad I could point you in the right direction.