Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Button linked to a PDF not working

Hi,

A site I've just completed using Xara Web Designer 9 Premium has been published today. Everything works except for a button to download a form on the Submissions page.

http://psfilms.com.au/submissions.htm

I used one of the widgets, and the button appears in the MouseOver and MouseOff layers. They are not locked or invisible, and I've checked the outlines and nothing is covering the button.

When I preview the page, and I wave the pointer over the button, the little "hand" icon appears and I can click on the button. It successfully links to the PDF form for download.

But when published, the little "hand" doesn't appear at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Nicky
    Last edited by NickyE; 06 March 2014 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Added link

Default Re: Button linked to a PDF not working

Hmm?

I assume you want the Download Entry Form button to connect to the PDF file, is this correct?

How are you linking to the PDF?

And are you still using Web Designer 6 or have you upgraded to a newer version?

The simplest way to do this is manually FTP the PDF file to the root directory on the server where all your website files are (index.htm, submissions.htm, etc.) and then link the download button to: http://psfilms.com/au/filename.pdf

Hi, yes - I need the Download Entry Form button to connect to the PDF file. I am using Web Designer 9 Premium. I select the button, then click LINK, then browse through and find the PDF I want to link to. It works perfectly while in PREVIEW mode, but not when the site is live. I will try it manually but the technical stuff, I'm not at all clever at.... that's why I rely on the inbuilt PUBLISH button in Xara.

Try it this way: drag the PDF onto a design page. Select the Add Link option.
    This ensure the file is known to the application.
    Then use the Link to file option. Essentially, click the OK or Apply button on the Web Properties form.
    Finally, delete the first added link (the PDF icon).

I would export the site to a local folder and check the PDF is inside the index_htm_files folder.

Acorn

Hi, thanks Gary and Acorn for the advice. I did it the way you suggested Acron. the button still wouldn't work but the PDF icon, if I left it there, was clickable. So I've gone with that as a workaround. At least people can access the form now. Thanks heaps for your help.

Nicky, have you other buttons to site web pages that are working?
    It seems strange that setting up a button for a PDF in a similar way to one of these would fail, especially as we know Xara has captured your PDF properly.
    It doesn't make much sense when it works on a local export.

Acorn

Nicky you have one link in your Partner page not linked down at the bottom. Under "Nelson Bay Film Complex" where you give the cinemas address line "nelsonbaycinema.com.au"
    Design is thinking made visual.

you could ZIP the pdf file up then it will download or tell the users to right click save as on the link to save it - I think a pdf is automatically displayed when clicked on

just my two pennies worth

cheerz

Quote Originally Posted by NickyE View Post
    Hi, thanks Gary and Acorn for the advice. I did it the way you suggested Acron. the button still wouldn't work but the PDF icon, if I left it there, was clickable. So I've gone with that as a workaround. At least people can access the form now. Thanks heaps for your help.
    You could create another site page and using the Embed a website widget, include the path to the PDF.
    An example here: http://www.stourpaine.info/bikeride.htm

Acorn

Hi, I had the same again problem today... this time, it was a button that refused to link to a URL. Here's how it finished up

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...RL-not-working