Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Proper way to convert lines to fillable shape?

I've tried various combinations of 'Join', 'Combine', 'Add' and 'Intersect' ... but I never end up with a shape that lets me left-click fill. Instead, the lines change color. I'll also mention that joining the endpoints of the lines isn't an option. The "cusps" have to be in the finished result.

I know this has to be simple. I just can't determine how to do it. (For my example result, I built a special shape behind the figure.)

Thanks in advance for help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shape.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	100997

Default Re: Proper way to convert lines to fillable shape?

Select the lines then Arrange > Convert Line to Shapes. Select the four shapes and Arrange > Combine Shapes Add Shapes.

Then Arrange > Break Shapes.

Attached is a Tip from Big Frank which may also be helpful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a_tip_13.gif 
Views:	437 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	100999  

@contours, here's something I've just tried:

1. Select all four lines.
    2. Combine Shapes > Add Shapes.
    3. Use the Shape Tool (F4), click the middle of each line and move to the centre of the shape to form four leaves and a central blob..
    4. Place a small box over all of the blob.
    5. Combine Shapes > Add Shapes (a second time).
    6. Use the Shape Tool (F4), delete all of the new control points around the box.

Your spiky points are retained.

Acorn

What I usually do with something like this is select all your lines and clone then join the endpoints till I get a fill, then clear lines on the clone. What you end up with is two objects. one a fill and the other the lines, but, the end result looks like a single object. Although the other suggestions may be better.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Wow.

I know this has to be simple.
    I guess I was wrong in that respect. With a package as capable as Xara, I'm prone to assume it's my lack of experience ... that the fault doesn't lie with Xara.

Please don't get me wrong: I appreciate knowing each of these methods. But none of them give the simple result of a fillable shape with the lines preserved. In testing the methods, either the lines were absorbed into the shape ... or I ended up with two shapes, one with the lines and one fillable.

Indeed, if these represent the practical methods, then I think this represents a missing feature ... an oversight. I guess I'll pass this along as a suggestion for product improvement.

Thanks for the responses.

AFAIK xara does not do the sort of shape that you want - it only recognises an outer boundary - in order to do what you want it would need to support complex shapes with both an outer and an inner boundary, and [in this sense] it does not...

see attachment

Name:	shape fill.png 
Views:	175 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	101000   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shape  fill 2.png 
Views:	160 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	101001  

Last edited by handrawn; 07 March 2014 at 07:49 PM. Reason: add attachment

Designer doesn't have a feature that can fill shapes that are formed by /visual/ boundaries, rather than properly defined vector boundaries.

But it is easy to do it manually (which is what you did to create your example). Just use one of the drawing tools, either the freehand tool, the shape tool, the pen tool or the shape painter tool to draw the outline of the filled area, set the fill colour, turn off the outline colour and then put it behind the boundary shapes.

The shape painter tool is great for doing this and remember that you can zoom in and/or change the nib size to get into the corners.

Phil

Illustrator has the Live Paint Bucket Tool which will do what you require very easily. But Illustrator is not cheap. It's also generally speaking, not as intuitive and easy to use.
    Hence the difference in price between the two applications.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

People using only PC:s are exposed too much to "one software to rule them all" mindset, when you can actually use several programs together for additional flexibility.

I prefer manual work, so would just do it like this with CAD and then export as Acorn draw file and carry on from that with another program. Very fast and precise with snaps + keyboard shortcuts. Keeping things simple without any software specific tools mean, it also will export cleanly in future when need comes and look pretty much the same without any additional work.

Name:	window.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	101003  

@ Phil
    @Bob
    @theinonen

yes guys but like the methods previously described, the result is not one shape - sure you can group it, but that's not one shape its a [compound] object

contours observation:

Quote Originally Posted by Contours View Post
    But none of them give the simple result of a fillable shape with the lines preserved
    still applies

AFAIK it cannot be done in vector

that said all good methods - and it would be great if xara did have an illustrator/inkscape type fill, that would sure save some time...