Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Image file size contradictions....

Using WD9Premium....
    Was uploading hundreds of new images for my clients' art gallery site using FileZilla.
    I noticed that a lot of images were over 600kb in size. All the images pop up to a max height of 700px or a max width of1000px depending on whether they are portrait or landscape.
    A 200kb image looks great in the pop up, so there's no need to go much larger.
    So I started optimizing the large images in WD9P - each image sits on a white rectangle with a grey 2px border.
    I've attached screen captures from Windows 7 explorer and the WD9 Optimize interface - there are radical differences in reported sizes - for the attached image (actual pic + white square with grey border), Explorer reports it as 1 138kb and if I go to WD9, go the optimize dialogue box, the size of just the actual pic shows as 221 337bytes! Watching FileZilla upload, the file sizes are the same as in explorer (obviously I guess).
    Can any one help me - which file sizes do I go with and in your experience, what is an "more than good enough" image size bearing in mind the sizes of the pop-ups?
    Many thanks,
    Mike

PS: the website is http://www.westcoastartgallery.co.za if you want to check out the pop-ups....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	optimize dialogue.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	100880   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	explorer.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	100881  

Default Re: Image file size contradictions....

Your images have been optimized as PNG which is causing the problem.

Unfortunately, I am not sure if you can optimize all images as JPEG 85% or if you need to do this one image at a time.

PNG is a superior file format, but considerable larger in file size.

I imported one of the painting images #5268.png and exported it as JPEG. The file size of the PNG is 1.08 MB. The JPEG is 189K

The image quality is basically the same.

Name:	side-by-side.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	100882  

Thanks for the reply GW....but I still don't understand the huge discrepancy in file sizes as reported by Explorer and the WD9 optimize dialogue....
    So could I just open each image from Explorer in say FastStone Image Viewer and then resize them and save them as .jpgs as opposed to using the WD9 optimize option?

the xara dialog shows file size of 800x756 but the same file on the website is bigger than that, which in itself would cause a difference in file size [given 96dpi]

I can't say any more than that, because I am not a website builder... leave that to Gary and co....

1,000px × 933px (scaled to 981px × 916px) - it has a box round it..... [the posted image will be reduced, which confuses things, but you can see the border, which is all part of the image]

Edit - ok re-reading I see the border is intentional - but the file is still bigger in pixels on the site than that reported in the dialog box....

Name:	2608.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	100883  

No, you want to do the optimizing in Web Designer and then republish the site.

I think you can right click on each thumbnail and select Optimize Photo. JPEG, 85% 96dpi

I just tried optimizing all images and it does not appear to work properly on PNG images.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    1,000px × 933px (scaled to 981px × 916px) - it has a box round it..... [the posted image will be reduced, which confuses things, but you can see the border, which is all part of the image]

Edit - ok re-reading I see the border is intentional - but the file is still bigger in pixels on the site than that reported in the dialog box....
    ....yes - that's the bit that puzzles me...

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    No, you want to do the optimizing in Web Designer and then republish the site.

I think you can right click on each thumbnail and select Optimize Photo. JPEG, 85% 96dpi

I just tried optimizing all images and it does not appear to work properly on PNG images.
    OK - thanks GW

This is driving me mad....select a photo and optimize it,,,save and export the site.....go to Explorer....file is still the same size and is a .png!
    Makes no sense at all!
    Then looked at the pop-up properties - almost all the images on the site are .png's not .jpgs. In the pop-up dialogue, I noticed that "let Xara web designer 9 premium choose the type automatically" was checked. Changed this to "jpeg best for photos" and voila - problem solved.
    I am VERY surprised that Xara would choose to export as a .png seeing tat the combined "image is 90% photo and 10% a white box vector with grey border....

glad you got it sorted