Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Default Logo competition

We're developing a product called the Xara Picture Editor which is a simple, slick, general purpose bitmap preview and editor tool. We need a logo for this and since I know there have been many great logo designs shown on this forum, we thought it would be a good idea to have a little competition for those that might be interested.

The prize is a full boxed copy of all the main Xara products, Xara X, Xara 3D, Webstyle, MenuMaker (CD only), ScreenMaker 3D (CD only), or $300 cash for those that already have the Xara products. Xara will pick only one of any submitted designs.

Attached is a screenshot of what the product looks like which may influence the logo design. You can see brushed metal dialogs. Many icons have a purple flower theme (we had to think of something that sort of represented a generic 'photo'.) You can see the crop icon enlarged. We have a purple / blue theme to much of it.

The logo could either be the full name 'Xara Picture Editor' or could use the abbreviation XPE, but in the latter case it's important that the name Xara Picture Editor be incorporated into the logo so that people can understand what XPE stands for. If the word Xara is a large part of the logo then it should be in Xara logo style. See the MenuMaker logo on the xara.com website to see what I mean. (Not that the MM logo is meant to influence or restrict your creative freedom at all). If the Xara name is just a small part, for example it could be just simple small text saying 'Xara Picture Editor' under a larger XPE logo, then it's not important that the Xara be in the right font. The design needs to be able to work quite small so it can be reproduced on websites etc.

Ideally I'd like this to be a public competition where ideas are posted to this forum where everyone can see and provide feedback. Previous feedback from the forum to posted designs has been good natured, helpful and positive and we'd like to keep it like that and see what the wider audience think of any submitted designs.

We will require the final artwork to be created in CorelXARA or Xara X (for the purposes of posting previews, JPEGs / GIFs etc are fine).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XPE.jpg 
Views:	2657 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	8444  
    IP

Hi Charles,

Pretty neat looking.

Could you give us a thorough run down on what this little wonder can do??

Many thanks!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    IP

I don't know... I think the icons look pretty straight forward... I'm not sure what to think of your guesses... You are not serious are you?!

The icons themselves look very friendly... and inviting, for people that don't normally open graphics applications.

I think it's a good idea for Xara to sponsor a little competition like this. The stakes are not high, so I'm sure it can be done in a friendly, supportive and fun atmosphere, just like Charles hoped for.
    IP

Ha, well done. Almost spot on with your icon guesses there. The three icons in the group with the magnifier are Fit to Window, Full Size and Magnify.

The 'Lost' one is 'free rotate'.

The air con is actually the enhance dialog you can see on screen. Otherwise pretty good guess.

As to what it's features will be - well you've guessed most of them. I suppose I should clarify that the program is not a painting program. The Paint icon will launch whatever painting / bitmap you've got installed on your computer. (So logos that imply painting would not be such a good idea). It's similar in design to the standard Windows XP Picture Viewer on which this UI is based, except it does a more of course. There are a few 'world's first' features that will be in it, but it's too early for me to say any more really. The program is 'simpleware', in a similar manner to Xara3D. It doesn't provide a huge range of features, but what it does do, it does better than anything else out there. More info in a few weeks.
    IP

The slide show button intrigues me. Any chance for some transition effects (or will this then become bloatware)?
    IP

Come on Guys and Gals in Xaraland ... Charles has thrown down the gauntlet and issued us a genuine challenge. That's kind of like the Wizard-of-Oz asking the munchkins to build a new Yellow Brick Road

But seriously ... someone from this forum SHOULD have the chosen design for this new piece of XARA software ... am I RIGHT???

So GET EXCITED ... and get out your wacom tablets (or fingernail and touchpad in Jolande's case) ... and let's throw so many designs at this thing it will make Charles dizzy

To get everyone started I have traced (and not very well I might add) the Xara logo. Take it ... use it ... embellish it ... and post your entry right here for everyone to enjoy. Not everyone can be a Gary Priester when it comes to logos ... but that doesn't mean we can't all try and have fun doing it! I'm going to be disappointed if I don't see 20 different logo's by this weekend.

Here's the XAR file ... if anyone can smooth it out a bit you might re-post it.

-Ed.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Here's the XAR file ... if anyone can smooth it out a bit you might re-post it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't remember which thread it was posted in, but shortly after CorelXara became XaraX, this .web file was posted to the forum. Ungroup and delete the shadow to get the Xara logo.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

Another suggestion

Christine

Name:	XaraPE_logo.jpg 
Views:	2055 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	15452  
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365
    IP

And another

Christine

Name:	XaraPE_logo_V2.jpg 
Views:	1980 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	19945  
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365
    IP

Here's my first try. I was going for a similar look as the other Xara products, using a slight bevel on the Xara logotype. Pastel colours used, could possible be a bit brighter, as in the screenshot by Charles. The holes in the photo strip can also be interpreted as bits (as in a digital photo).

Name:	www_logo_xpe2.png 
Views:	1917 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	2153  
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm

IP