Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default "Automatically" determining bounding shape

Hello everyone,

Often I have a group of lines that visually bound a closed shape, but aren't shapes as considered by Xara. For instance, in the image attached, the top group is a bunch of lines, and thus can't be filled. To color the interior, I've been duplicating those lines, and then manually joining them at appropriate points, to yield a shape (bottom) that can be filled. This takes some time, especially for complex drawings.

My question is if there is a shortcut by which Xara will determine the bounding shape for a group of overlapping lines?

Thanks!
    - Jesse
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Outline Filling.png 
Views:	180 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	100793  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: "Automatically" determining bounding shape

Not really. I just tried converting the lines to shapes, adding shapes and then breaking shapes but in this case it does not do what you are asking.

I think that however you are creating your filled shape is the way to go. Think of it as a Zen meditation exercise.

Heh heh, thanks.

I don't particularly mind doing it, but I just didn't want to overlook a "Arrange->Zen Merge Lines" command.

Best,
    Jesse

It does work, btw.

It is multi-step though. I think the only missing step in Gary's brief description is that you have a couple line ends that actually do not meet the body. So the result ends up not being fillable.

And, you need to put a rectangle behind the 'pus and slice it out of the rectangle. And...you will be left with actually two 'puses, one of which is incomplete and can be discarded. The screen shot shows the two line ends that actually have to be on the 'pus' body outline. Oops, not going to take another screen shot, but the upper right tentacle has a line not really meeting the body, either.

1. Once those are fixed, ungroup the present group.
    2. Select all the lines. Hit ctrl+j to join the lines.
    3. Convert line to shape.
    4. Draw a rectangle, send to back.
    5. Select the 'pus and the rectangle.
    6. Hit ctrl+2.
    7. Break apart.
    8. Move the rectangle out of the way.
    9. Select the 'pus and move it.

You'll now see the second one. It's two upper tentacles are detached. But I sort of like that version. It has better defined tentacles. So you can select the two upper tentacles and the body, hit ctrl+j to join them and recolor the whole at will.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-001151.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	100795   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-001152.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	100796  

ungroup the octopus - add two new lines to close the gaps that mike mentioned

select all eleven lines and then click 'convert line to shape' and then combine shapes/add shapes' and then 'break shapes' [arrange menu] - you have your fills
    if you want to preserve your lines copy them at the appropriate stage, depending whether you want then with lines open, lines closed or as one shape

I copy to clipboard so I can paste back in place over the fills [and you can do that to a new layer if it is easier for you]
    Last edited by handrawn; 21 February 2014 at 11:08 AM. Reason: typos clarity coffee deficiency

Hmmm. Xara Zen. Now that could be a major breakthrough.

Nice octopus shape, BTW.

Thank you, that is an amazing technique, mwenz and handrawn! I totally wasn't expecting 'Break Shapes' to be the key.

I'd only used Break Shapes to reverse a Join Shapes command -- what is the logic behind Break Shapes when applied to an assembly of shapes that wasn't previously Joined ?

Best,
    Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by amoore View Post
    Nice octopus shape, BTW.
    Heh heh, thanks - I'd extracted it from this drawing:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hexapod on Pole.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	100812

I'm not sure how it started, but this particular style of six-legged octopus (hexapus?) became a tradition among a few friends of mine.

it is an operation that I do an awful lot of when colouring broken-line cartoon lineart - as I have designer-pro I have even customised keyshortcuts so that three adjacent keys are used for the operations...

and you can use break shapes to break apart a suitable shape whether it was made by adding/joining existing shapes, made from scratch with the shape builder tool for example, or imported [inkscape's equivalent is called 'break-apart']

it is very useful

My life has just become happier because of Break Shapes. It's...amazing.

Thanks everyone! What a community.