Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Questions about Xara Web Designer Premium

Hi all,

I am considering buying Xara Web Designer Premium. I have done some research on this forum and other places, and it seems like this is the perfect website creation software for me. I first considered Adobe Dreamweaver (which I own) but found it to be exceptionally complicated, overblown, and not very user friendly. I also checked out Adobe Muse, which seems similar if not better than Xara WDP, but I refuse to do business with Adobe as long as they continue to rent their software. Anyway, I have a few questions about Xara WDP before I buy:

1. As I understand, you can’t edit the HTML code directly within Xara, but can you edit with a text editor like UltraEdit? If you can, will it mess things up when you open in Xara?

2. Can you open/import and modify an existing website that was not created in Xara?

3. Can you import code for javascript, CSS and PHP, etc. into a webpage? Are there any limitations to doing this in Xara?

4. Can you create custom slideshows or are you only allowed to use the available widgets?

5. Can you add/remove text fields in the FORM widgets? What about making some of the fields required?

6. Are there places where you can buy additional themes and widgets? Is it possible to create your own widgets?

7. Are there any stability or functional differences between 32 bit and 64 bit versions (other than being able to access more memory)? Any recommendations as to which is better for the average user?

8. Are there any instructional videos or resources that show how to make a website (or template) from scratch, as opposed to editing templates or doing individual tasks? (I have already visited the Videos page on the Xara site)

9. What are any limitations of the software that I should be aware of?

10. Is there a return policy? (I realize there is a trial version but I don’t have enough time to check it out thoroughly before the special offer for additional themes and templates expires.)

Any additional comments or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
    John

Default Re: Questions about Xara Web Designer Premium

Hi

it's not an HTML editor in any sense AFAIK

so you cant import any web sites, made with other software or made with the program itself - what you do is save a project file which you publish from, when you need to make changes you republish

that also means that, whilst you can make edits to published html in other software it will be ignored/overwritten/lost when republishing

that's as far as I can take it, leave the rest to experts....

Welcome to TalkGraphics

Xara Web Designer is a WYSIWYG website creation application. You design your website by putting things on the page where you want them to be (or by modifying existing templates) and then Xara does the coding.

You can edit the code but the next time you publish your site you will have to edit it again. So it is best not to be messing with the code.

You can add code and scripts to your website using "placeholders". Placeholders are simple rectangles into which you add code to the head and/or body sections and then this code is added to your website when you preview or publish.

You cannot import an existing website by importing the HTML code. Web Designer does not work like this.

You can import text and graphics from an existing web page and it will be imported more or less in the same place but you will have to do a bit of fussing to get everything in the right place. And mouse over buttons and things on layers are not imported.

Go to Help and click on Movies (these are introductory videos on the Xara website).

The trial is for 30 days. I think it is something like 4 days and then you have to provide a minimal amount of information to continue for the 30 day period.

I do not think there is a refund after you purchase the product.

My answers are all in line
    Quote Originally Posted by G_Mann View Post
    Hi all,
    1. As I understand, you can’t edit the HTML code directly within Xara, but can you edit with a text editor like UltraEdit? If you can, will it mess things up when you open in Xara? Any change made will be over written on your next update. I do it with a post-processing utility I built. If you don't know what i am talking about, this approach is not for you.

2. Can you open/import and modify an existing website that was not created in Xara? You can import the text and graphics but none of the underlying clever code or CSS. Xara is not an HTML editor.

3. Can you import code for javascript, CSS and PHP, etc. into a webpage? Are there any limitations to doing this in Xara? You can add code snippets for all you mentioned into the site, a page and embedded into objects acting as Placeholders. This is a 32kB text limit.

4. Can you create custom slideshows or are you only allowed to use the available widgets? There are lots of alternatives available, desktop utilities to widgets and homebrew solutions.

5. Can you add/remove text fields in the FORM widgets? What about making some of the fields required? The widgets are a portal to a web-hosted service and the customisation of a Form is down to you and the capabilities of the web application; JotForm is very powerful but you are learning a new product so don't expect to be fluent in it immediately.

6. Are there places where you can buy additional themes and widgets? Is it possible to create your own widgets? Xara sells site templates. A widget is just code of a link to a web service so it is down to your competence.

7. Are there any stability or functional differences between 32 bit and 64 bit versions (other than being able to access more memory)? Any recommendations as to which is better for the average user? 64-bit does not support Live effects. as the 32-bit is there on your purchase, you can run both and copy and paste; the 32-bit would acts as the editor, the 64-bit renders.

8. Are there any instructional videos or resources that show how to make a website (or template) from scratch, as opposed to editing templates or doing individual tasks? (I have already visited the Videos page on the Xara site). You learn by doing - create a home page with lots of guides and snap to objects. Put items you want to repeat through the site. Then copy that page, rework detail for the second page, etc. Finally, learn how to repeat objects and NavBars. You'll have a unique design that is your template.

9. What are any limitations of the software that I should be aware of? No CMS. It is 100% WYSIWYG so you would need to build a separate site for mobile. More than one way to do something so learning the tricks is slow but steady.

10. Is there a return policy? (I realize there is a trial version but I don’t have enough time to check it out thoroughly before the special offer for additional themes and templates expires.) No but keep your money on themes are it is easy(-ish) to hand-craft your own. The offers are cyclical so in a year's time you'll wonder why you spent the money. I've not yet used a template design.

Acorn