Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Transparent object with non-transparent lines?

I'm sure there's a way to do this but for the life of me I can't remember and can't find it when I do a search. I have an object that is comprised of several lines that are grouped together, and I want to fill the entire group with a fractal cloud 3-color fill. In order to do so, I am creating the fill as a background, and making the object transparent, but when I do that, all my lines disappear (of course!) but I need the lines in it for details. Basically I want to layer this object - maybe I'm going about this wrong. Any suggestions? Tia.

D'oh! Just call me stupid, I just remembered how to do this! Sorry for the post you can ignore my idiocy!
    Coleen
    "Tears are not a sign of weakness, they are a sign of how deeply we loved."

Default Re: Transparent object with non-transparent lines?

Okay, I do have a question about this after all...part of the object didn't fill even using the "slice" function, the object isn't "slicing" from the background fill at all. I know that usually works - why isn't the object being sliced from the background?
    Coleen

perhaps all that sun you are getting over there has gone to your head? :P

mind you I am not clear what you are really trying to do, and what with - can you post up a file?

Thanks Handrawn! Yup, that must be it - sunstroke for sure!

Okay here is the file - it's the same iguana with all the detail l]ines drawn in and I'm trying to give him a cool 3-color fractal cloud fill - sounds weird - but it looks cool so attached is the .xar file. Thank you!
    [ATTACH]100735[/ATTACH
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Coleen

Made a duplicate of your object and set the fill to none.

On your transparency object set the line width to none.

here's what I'd do....

[your ig is a mixture of lines and shapes that never helps when trying to do fills...]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	igrm.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	100737  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Gary

that will probably work up to a point - but when I tried it the 'dorsal frill' [spines?] does not fill [probably because of the mixed object nature of the group]

Thanks Gary. Yes, Handrawn, that's exactly the problem I'm having. (sigh) What I probably should have done is to draw the spine as part of the original closed object, and then add the backbone line as part of the detail lines like I did for the muscles and fringe lines. Thank you so much for the detailed instructions on how to do this more easily - it is VERY appreciated!

I'm off to go do this for myself (I could cheat and use yours, but then I don't actually learn anything!) and... I'm also off to play in the beautiful sunshine down here! Thanks again to both of you!
    Last edited by Coleen; 18 February 2014 at 02:48 PM. Reason: stupid spelling error!
    Coleen

in order to fill you need a closed shape
    [there is an exception, but it's 'unsupported' which is another way of saying 'yes it does that but it's not intended to and it may well have unexpected consequences']
    anyhow whenever I have a collection of lines that I want to make into a closed filled shape I always make a copy and do the select all / convert line to shape /add shape / break shape routine [in fact I have custom keyboard shortcuts set to make it quick and easy]
    if the break shape does not result in a complete fill shape[s] I know there is a gap some where and I can go looking for it

don't forget your suntan lotion [I'll go get my wellies ]

Thanks SO much Handrawn! I really appreciate it - I must bookmark this thread so that the next time I run into this error, I can come and review your wonderful advice!

And, yes - sunscreen is a MUST for me down here...I'm actually a fair-skinned red-head and I burn like a lobster! (Only drawback to living in Belize!)
    Coleen