Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Sketchy" look for vector drawings

Is there a tool in Xara that can make CAD generated drawings look hand-drawn?

Default Re: "Sketchy" look for vector drawings

I do hand drawn stuff [] but.... what exactly do you mean? - are you talking making a vector picture look like a pencil sketch for example, which can be done, but it will almost certainly involve rasterisation.. or something else?

In XDP9X, you can create a random brush with the Freehand and Brush Tool and apply that line to vector objects with a line width.

Acorn

Thanks. I use Revit, which is a CAD package for architecture. It does great renderings, but sometimes clients like the "hand drawn" sketchy look. I thought perhaps I could output a jpeg and process it in Xara (I have XDP9X) to give that effect or similar.

to save time if you can post up an example I'll see what might be done...

Quote Originally Posted by narlee View Post
    Thanks. I use Revit, which is a CAD package for architecture. It does great renderings, but sometimes clients like the "hand drawn" sketchy look. I thought perhaps I could output a jpeg and process it in Xara (I have XDP9X) to give that effect or similar.
    You could always export the JPG and process it in FotoSketcher:

http://www.fosshub.com/FotoSketcher.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-001128.png 
Views:	119 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	100699  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PurpleEye2.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	100700Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PurpleEye2Trace.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	100701
    Using Xara Photo&Graphic Designer 9, under Utilities, there is a Bitmap Tracer function with many variables you can toy with.
    The vector eye already had some airbrush and hand drawn iris and eyelash detail. Not sure if this is what you mean. It gives it a paint-by-numbers effect.
    Last edited by WildRice; 15 February 2014 at 12:24 AM.

This is what I envisioned the OP wants. Two clicks in FotoSketcher. 30 seconds from load to posting. Time is money.

Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rendering_FotoSketcher.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	100702

probably - can do that in xara with plugins, but not nec any quicker...

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I can think of a couple of ways you could give a jpeg a pencil drawing look. There is the pencil effect in the new effects that come with Xara. There are also some good 3rd party plugin effects that can be used with the 32bit version of DPX9 Chalkaholic by little ink pot is free and there are some commercial (paid for) plug ins that are also very good for this Alien Skin snap art works well ( at least version 3 does I've not upgraded to 4), and there is Filter Forge, a very good filter for giving a photo a hand drawn look Sketch My Pic Up can be had from their library. You need to purchase a version of FF but then you get access to over 10,000 filters and effects from the library.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.