Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Podcasting in Xara

Hi guys,

I maintain a website for a musician who is also a radio dj. He does a show once a week and would like to have his show on his site as a podcast.

This is easy. My big problem is that each show is about 2 hours in length and each file would be about 100Mb.

I know that when making updates to his sites I have to always upload the entire site for Xara to work properly but obviously it's not a big job as his site at the moment is only about 7Mb in total.

If I now upload a new podcast every week his site is going to get very large very quickly. It's eventually going to be almost impossible to upload all these massive files every week and I'm still battling with this problem that Xara has, that the entire site always needs to be uploaded. Not just the changes.

Is there another way to do this? I must just add that hosting the audio files on another site are not an option. He doesn't want this. He insists on having these files on his site.

How would I get around the problem of having to upload the entire site everytime there's an upgrade?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Peter.

Default Re: Podcasting in Xara

peter, under his site, create a sub-site (different folder) and FTP the podcasts into that.
    You can then set up an icon or link in the main site to these files, knowing their relative path or full URL.
    This keeps the Xara design update very small and affects only a page each time.

Acorn

Default Re: Podcasting in Xara

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    peter, under his site, create a sub-site (different folder) and FTP the podcasts into that.
    You can then set up an icon or link in the main site to these files, knowing their relative path or full URL.
    This keeps the Xara design update very small and affects only a page each time.

Acorn
    Hi Acorn,

Thanks so much for the advice. I understand what you're saying but I'm not quite sure how to carry it out.

I don't know how to make a "sub site" on the same server. If you could elaborate a bit I would be extremely grateful.

Cheers,

Peter.