Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Floating Template

I made a template in XARA P&G 9 and saved it as a template. The problem is when I add a couple of shapes/text/images and combine them the template becomes part of them and when you move the shapes/text/images the template moves with them. How do I "lock" the template down where it stays put.

Thanks
    Bob

Default Re: Floating Template

Perhaps put the objects that are part of your template on a separate layer and lock it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Rivers View Post
    I made a template in XARA P&G 9 and saved it as a template. The problem is when I add a couple of shapes/text/images and combine them the template becomes part of them and when you move the shapes/text/images the template moves with them. How do I "lock" the template down where it stays put.

Thanks
    Bob
    You can check what's in the Page and layout gallery what is selected; the status bar also tells you what's been picked.

When you mention "combine them" are you grouping them, soft-grouping them or something else.
    If you are combining "shapes/text/images", you are effectively publishing a graphic. This may be what you are after but text is no longer selectable and you have viewers downloading large files making your site slower and less searchable.

Acorn

If for example I have a picture of a frog and the word frog next to it. I use the selector tool to highlight the frog graphic then use SHIFT and highlight the text, then group them everything's good. If I use EDIT>SELECT ALL then group when I export it I have the frog, text, and template.

Bob

Bob, Select All is doing exactly what is says on the tin.
    A template is simply a collection of objects that, probably by default, are unlocked.

You can do a number of things:
    1. Main one would be to do what you described first - shift-click the required objects and then group. Thereafter click the group (frog and text0 then export.
    2. Place all non-template objects on a new Layer and solo select that when performing the above.
    3. Lock all template objects before adding yours.

You will then develop your own rhythm for handling a mundane process.

Acorn

What bothers me is about a year ago I made a template I call BigMo and it never moves.

Bob