Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mobile/Tablet Compatibility on WD 7

I have almost convinced myself I will regret asking this question

I have done a search and can find no answer, perhaps I am not asking the right question.

As you know I have spent a good time updating my old website to what I have now, I tried to view it on my tablet and could not see it.

How do I make my website compatible with mobile and tablet devices.

Please tell me it is an a one click option in WD7...... Oh hang on let me just come down from planet zog to reality.

I am sure someone is going to say.... Sorry mate you have to upgrade and start from scratch.

If you could just give me a few pointers where to begin I would very much appreciate it.

Regards,
    Den

Default Re: Mobile/Tablet Compatibility on WD 7

There is nothing which would stop you viewing any xara created website on a desktop, ios device such as an ipad or any android device, the only reason you may not see elements is if they are flash, otherwise the site should be fine, can you provide a link to the site in question an if possible a screen grab of what you are seeing on your tablet.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Hi Sketch,

Once again you are my knight in shining armour!

Google or my tablet must have been acting up the other night when I tried to look at my website, tried after reading your reply and hey presto I could see it.

Sorry for being such a wally (do people still use the term Wally? Sooo early 80's )

I have a nexus 7 and understand that Adobe don't much care for Google is that the reason I can't see my flash heavy website?

Is there a work around?

www.image23.fr

Regards,
    Den

The whole flash thing came about because of two reasons, one was Apple's little falling out with adobe and the fact that flash is quite resource hungry. So when apple decided not to implement flash on their tablets/phones, for a while the others used the fact that they could display flash as a selling point, but with the usage of HTML5, programmers started using that instead of flash, there are still some comlpex things that flash can do easily which html5 can't but for simpler stuff such as galleries, slideshows etc html5 is brilliant, therefore flash is slowly being wiped out.

I personally use snacktools.com which allows me to create slideshows/banners which will show as flash on desktops but be replaces automatically with html5 when viewed on mobile devices. If you don't want to go down the subscription route (we're slowly changing over our clients sites from snacktools to html5 galleries and slideshows) then I would use hislider.com, which is fully html for slideshows, banners and galleries.

Hi Sketch,

Thanks for the backstory, why can't people just get along

I spent about 4 hours of my life, trying to shoehorn Adobe flash on my nexus (Yes the tablet did nearly become a Frisbee and just a very minor domestic with Chrissy but on the whole not bad considering).

Basically it was beyond me and was just about resigning myself of not being able to see my website on my tablet, then I just scrolled down to the replies bit on this guys blog and just a one liner reply from someone "Hey everybody, I got around it by installing the Puffin Browser and I can see everything"

So downloaded it and it worked like a dream.

What Puffin does is takes the flash on your website and renders it on their server and then passes it to the web as HTML5.

I could well be lying about this bit but I know what I mean and it works, therefore I don't give a monkey's. Lesson learned today Keep It Simple Stupid.

I will have a look at the Highslider option as that will take out the 'luck' factor is someone is a out of date as I was and are not using a Puffin or similar browser option.

Thanks again Sketch, you are a good bloke.

Regards,
    Den

Glad you found a solution, but don't leave it upto the chance that someone may have puffin installed, go for the hislider option, you will not regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by skech View Post
    Glad you found a solution, but don't leave it upto the chance that someone may have puffin installed, go for the hislider option, you will not regret it.
    Hi Sketch,

Me again I'm afraid.

Got the visual slideshow and can make the slideshow no problem.

I have read and re-read how to upload it into my webpage but no luck with it.

Can you walk me through step by step as to what code to copy and where to actually put it.

I have copied the Visual slideshow files HTML, Data and Engine to my file (I tried loading them to all of the ones but no luck) but where does it need to go in the HTML files OR Web_files folders or the one with all my web pages?

I have a placeholder, go to link property click the replace with HTML code with all the code and when I go to preview I just get image with a black cross in it and the .img file, but no slideshow.

Do I need to be using the placeholder where I want my slideshow to be inconjunction with a placeholder in the pasteboard part of my page.

I am sorry but I know that I am doing something daft but can not follow the 'simple' instructions on the How to embed..... pages I have looked at.

I really need it dumbed down.

Regards,
    Den

Den, when you say
    Got the visual slideshow
    do you mean from hislider.com ?, if so I can help you no problem.

Have you uploaded the Data and Engine to your server and put into it's own folder.

Quote Originally Posted by skech View Post
    Den, when you say do you mean from hislider.com ?, if so I can help you no problem.
    Hi, I've tried both hislider and visual, if you assume I will use hislider that will be good.

I have not uploaded the files as I don't know where to.

Den