Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Exporting to .jpg and .jpeg

Some jpg files are stored with the file extension .jpg and some are strored with .jpeg. Actually when you rename the extension from .jpeg to .jpg it seems to make no difference and the file is still usable with most software including Xara Designer Pro 9 that I use.

So far so good. Where is my problem?

I remember that in older versions of Xara, when you exported to jpg, the filter for the file listing was [*.jpg; *.jpeg] and all the files with the respective extensions where listed and you could pick an existing file to write over it or select it and use a similar name. In Desiner Pro 9, when I select "export to jpeg" the only filter is [*.jpg]. So I do not see the jpeg files anymore.

Could I make the issue clear?

... and yes, I could just rename the .jpeg file to .jpg ... but why not show the .jpeg files also?

Is there a way in Xara to get this feature back? Am I missing something? Any help and advice is appreciated.

Default Re: Exporting to .jpg and .jpeg

Good call.
    Just had a play and there seems to be nothing you can do with just Xara.
    Acorn

Unfortunately, while one can reorder the contents of FileFormats.xml, which is used for populating the import/export list boxes, one cannot add the *.jpeg extension and have XDP display an added extension.

Which seems weird.

you should be able to force it to show by typing in the name box:

*.jpeg

and then clicking the export button - it should refresh showing the .jpeg files

if you want both use:

*.jpeg;*.jpg

[don't forget the semi-colon ]

edit - fixed the second string doh!

Thanks handrawn,

This works. However it's a workaround. Anyone from Xara listening? Can we have this back?

well it's a basic windows function, [xara programs use the windows dialog box UI], glad it works - if you want to request Xara change the options back as they were, maybe post in Dear Xara forum..?

My question is what is the advantage of .jpeg over .jpg?

I can see a difference between .htm and .html. .html will display first in a browser even if there is a newer file with the same name and .html as the extension.

But I cannot see any advantage with .jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    My question is what is the advantage of .jpeg over .jpg?
    There isn't, but *.jpg is DOS origin and *.jpeg is probably Mac.
    Acorn

FYI there is also .JPE

I have heard it said that it was done so you could have files of the same internal standard opening in different applications automatically... although that probably won't work very well in [modern] windows...

If you're only working in Xara, whether a file is JPG or JPEG makes no difference, however, if you plan to use the graphics file in other applications, .JPEG cannot always be read, whereas .JPG always can.

In my limited experience, Mac files do not use a file extension. In PC you'd have a file dog.jpg (for example), whereas in Mac you have 'dog'. I often get files from Mac based graphic designers needing something printed, since my graphics shop is PC based, sometimes I have to add the extension, .JPG, just so I can open their file.

Of course, not that anyone cares, but JPG stands for "Joint Photographic Experts Group" - a socalled organization that attempted to create a unifying graphics format, I don't even know if they exist anymore.