Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Big@boss.com?

Hello guys,

Try The Bat! email client. Small fee, trial period and protected from most known viruses (not execute any attachments and hidden scripts).
    It is not advertisement... really.
    OE is headpain, it's true...
    Just check url www.ritlabs.com for The Bat!, you'll find full description of capables...

Sorry for my English http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

===============
    alexander

email

ALBO Design
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

Hi All

I just thought I would add that I managed a corporate email system for 3 years, for the last year and a half, I have handled hundreds of Virus infected emails.

I didn't use outlook express (or Outlook), I used an email client that had no hooks into Windows or Internet Explorer.

The Virus scanner was deliberately set to not scan my email folder so I could examine the incoming files.

As long as you are not using OE or similar wired email clients, it is quite safe to examine the contents of emails, the attachments are in some form of encoding that cannot be executed until it is decoded and written as a binary file.

Some Virus scanners understand Base64 or UUencoding (common file encoding formats for attachments) which is why they flag text files downloaded via mailwasher or other email clients. They are not however executable at this stage.

It is only unpatched Outlook/OE clients (I think there were a couple of Viruses that once targeted Eudora, but these are all but extinct) that can, without the users consent, automatically interpret and execute these attachments on opening.

It is quite safe to use Mail Washer or any 'non wired email client' to look at the raw email, it is only when you process the attachment things become a little more dangerous. I only ever did this with my computer unplugged from the network. I processed attachments by always forcing their extension to .TXT on saving so that stray mouse clicks or key presses did not cause disaster.

I am not saying you should do this, but if you are investgating where a virus infected email originates from it is possible to do it safely.

HTH

Peter

The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Sometimes I will preview a message if I think it may be legitimate. But if when the message opens and there is nothing there I try to delete it instantly.

But in previewing the message, it automatically starts downloading <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have to modify your MailWasher settings so that it won't start the DL automatically - see the optimized settings below.

In addition you should add all of the following DNS blacklist servers:

ORDB
    relays.ordb.org

VISI
    relays.visi.com

SpamCop
    bl.spamcop.net

OSSRC
    relays.osirusoft.com

NJABL
    dnsbl.njabl.org

DSBL
    list.dsbl.org

DSBLMULTI
    multihop.dsbl.org

ORBZ OUT
    outputs.orbz.org

ORBZ IN
    inputs.orbz.org

DORKSLAYERS
    ztl.dorkslayers.com

BLACKHOLES
    blackholes.intersil.net

WIREHUB
    blackholes.wirehub.net

I know that some of them apply very strong rules, so don't wonder if they raise the flag too often. But you can right click a friend's mail address and add it to the friends list - a lot better than to DL a virus or spam mail.

In addition I offer my blacklist for you to download here:

http://jens.highspeedweb.net/samples/blacklist01.txt

To add it to you existing list, just go to -> my computer -> local disk c:\ -> Documents and Settings -> your user name -> Application Data -> Mailwasher -> and open Blacklist.txt. Below the [Blacklisted emails] paste this list and save it. Make sure MailWasher is **not** running during this process. Restart MailWasher and enjoy.

Let's fight spam and virus threats!

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mailwashersettings01.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	19987  
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--