Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Importing old Website

Hi,
    Many years ago I created two websites using Xara 5, those websites are kinda dated now, both websites have custom webpage numbers due to my Hobby that being Genealogy and also a One Name Study, on an old computer that I no longer have.
    One website which is the cut down version is online, the other at present just squeezes onto a DVD due to the amount of data I hold, this is likely to go to a Flash Drive ( USB memory stick of greater than 4Gb) in the very near future.

I now own a newer computer which has a "Intel" core i7 processor in it.
    I also now have Xara Web designer 9 Premium.

What I would like to be able to do is import the larger of the two websites and change the Navigation Bar (NavBar)from vertical to horizontal and edit that same NavBar while retaining the custom page headers and page numbers.
    I would also like to make the NavBar stay at the top of the view meaning it stays there when one scrolls down the page and is visible at all times.
    I do know that one can make a scrollable NavBar as the coding can be found online to do this, so that means there ought to be an option within Xara Web designer 9 that allows this to happen.

I would rather not have to redo all my work all over again as a number of pages have Tables on them and I have plans for more yet.
    I would like to know if this is possible and secondly how to if it is possible with in Xara Web designer 9 premium.
    Would rather not have to fiddle via Note pad or a Web Authoring program such as SeaMonkey for example.
    Last edited by Grimason; 15 January 2014 at 04:40 AM. Reason: missed some information

Default Re: Importing old Website

Welcome to TalkGraphics

If you sill have the .xar or .web files, try opening the website document file in WD9. It should open OK.

Grim thanks so much for posting this question, I too am in the ame situation. I've tried opening my old site from Vs 6 in Vs 9 and am having troubles. I can open single pages and edit them but not the entires site? I have both xara. and web. files of it.
    GW I'm just wondering since my site is still up and live, can I download the entire thing in Vs 9 somehow and start editing form there? Thanks for all you do, Jeff

You can download some of the page elements but not the site from the web.

The newer versions of Xara attempt to place the objects on the page in approximately the same order as they appear on your web page. But things like rollover button and anything placed on a layer need to be recreated.

Xara web products are WYSIWYG products, not HTML editors.

However, a lot of the time, it is easier just to start from scratch, and drag and drop your images from the website onto the desktop then drag them into Xara. Text you can copy and paste. And while you are doing this you can make those changes that you have been promising yourself you would make over the years but have never gotten around to.

Gary thanks so much, and for sugesting starting from scratch. I did start from scratch with a new index page, I did download the first page and most of the images and text came thru. The text had some issues so I think, like you mention, starting from scratch with an open page of your site in a browser window, then drag and drop would be excellent. I'm going to procede with that next.

FYI..when downloading it did not keep web properties, backup info, image enlargement properties, keywords, and page tool bar was missing. That tool bar might drag and drop better. i'm going to play with it more in the up-comming week i'll add my notes here as I come across issues, you guys rock, Jeff

All you will get from an Import Text and Graphics from Web is... Text and Graphics.

As far as properties go, these are kept in the document file (.web and .xar). The document file is very different from your website HTML files.

But if you have your Xara document file then you don't need to do so much reworking.

Thanks again GW, I have started from scratch but I have all the page html files thus I can open them and copy text etc. the most helpful thing is my site is still live, and I am opening it in one window and dragging images and text when I can. It's a 20 plus page site so I have my work cut out for me..you guys are great, jeff

Kê gạch ngồi hóng. chuẩn bị ném hiii cho anh em bàn luận

Morph Academy provide six weeks and six months industrial training in Chandigarh

web designing