Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Save as JPEG

Default Save as JPEG

This seemed like a big update and took a while on my multiple computers. Before the update I was having glitches exporting my xar drawings to jpg files. It was hit or miss with only small fragments saved, weird file extentions such as Einstein.xar.jpg, needing to save as instead, needing to type the extension, etc. I always had to check my save folder afterwards to make sure exporting worked. It seems like this is now solved and have not had a problem exporting since.

Question: If I am working on a xar file and want to make a jpg file from it, is there any difference between exporting it as a jpg and saving it as a jpg?

Default Re: Link to Xara 9 Series version 9.2.7.30974

Quote Originally Posted by WildRice View Post
    Question: If I am working on a xar file and want to make a jpg file from it, is there any difference between exporting it as a jpg and saving it as a jpg?
    Yes, there's a big difference. If you save as a xar file, you will still have access to both the original and your edits so you can make additional changes if you want to later. If you save as a jpg, it will flatten everything into the exported image and you won't be able to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by amoore View Post
    Yes, there's a big difference. If you save as a xar file, you will still have access to both the original and your edits so you can make additional changes if you want to later. If you save as a jpg, it will flatten everything into the exported image and you won't be able to go back.
    Yes, I know to save as drawing.xar to retain all of my editable vector objects, layers, and changes (I am using Xara P&GD9). But what is the difference in saving as drawing.jpg vs. exporting as drawing.jpg? Before the latest update, exporting jpg files was hit or miss, so I had to save as drawing.jpg sometimes and would get some files with double extensions like drawing.xar.jpg (jpg file attributes). Exporting/saving seems to work fine now since the recent update.

I think I figured it out. Exporting to jpg lets me export select objects whereas saving as a jpg sums everything together. Maybe that is why I was getting those mini files when exporting.

Quote Originally Posted by WildRice View Post
    But what is the difference in saving as drawing.jpg vs. exporting as drawing.jpg?

I think I figured it out. Exporting to jpg lets me export select objects whereas saving as a jpg sums everything together. Maybe that is why I was getting those mini files when exporting.
    So far as I'm aware if you are in the main program you can only save as a xar file. For a jpg you have to export. Perhaps I'm missing something.
    Tony

I often wondered the same question as 'WildRice' as to the difference, if any, between the two options of "Save As" .jpg and "Export" .jpg. I don't believe anyone has really addressed his question.

Bob

Edit: I don't have access to my computer right now so the option really may be "Export As" (and select .jpg) and the ready made menu item "Export .jpg"
    Last edited by BobMoyer; 12 January 2014 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Clearification

Quote Originally Posted by tonylondon View Post
    So far as I'm aware if you are in the main program you can only save as a xar file. For a jpg you have to export. Perhaps I'm missing something.
    No, you are definitely missing nothing.
    To clarify, and put my neck on the chopping block...

... there is no Save As... for a jpeg.
    If you try this from File > Save As..., you can certainly add an extension of jpg but you still get a XAR or WEB extension after it.
    You can only export a jpg (File > Export... or File > Export JPEG... or right-click on the shape or selection to the same outcome).

Acorn

I am indeed using a blank photo template. What I have been working on recently is drawing over jpg photos. I begin Xara P&GD9, close any open files, open a jpg photo and then layer lines over the photo. I save my line work as an xar file. But when I want to email the results I export to a jpg file. The glitches I was experiencing were not a Xara programming error but rather from my not understanding that exporting allows me to send select portions of my work to a jpg file. I have to make sure I deselect before exporting or else I only get mini files with just some line objects. Since I am using a blank template I can also use Save As... to save as either a jpg or xar file. So I don't think there was a program problem that needed updating, it was just my human error and learning the system.

Here's what I see. I don't see an answer in this. All I glean from reading the thread is discussion about jpeg photos and "save as". Is that the extent of the fix?

We’ve released free updates for all Designer 9 Series products
    On: 09 Jan 2014 12:50 PM

Details
    We’ve released another free update for all Designer 9 Series products, with some further improvements to publishing reliability. This is version 9.2.7.30974.

Updating

To update your installation, simply start the program and it will automatically find any available update. Alternatively use the "Update program" facility in the program Help menu. Note you need to have unlocked AND registered your program to receive updates.

Default Save as JPEG

A discussion appeared in another thread (off topic) about Save to JPEG.

I am transferring the posts from that thread to this one. http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...7-Save-as-JPEG

Default Re: Save as JPEG

Apologies for this post - http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...939#post496939 - it makes it look like I was calling the OP off-topic. I wasn't, it was in another thread where this jpg discussion originated - http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...919#post496919 - and when the thread was split and my post came with it my post is out of context
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64