Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xara long page problem

Hello, I'm new here, so be kind.

I'm using Xara Web Designer 9 Premium.

I'm trying to put a long transcript (30 pages of text) and in a web site, and as I'm typing, I keep lowering the bottom margin. I get to about page 10 or so of my transcript and I can't go any lower with Xara. How do I get all this data into a one page web site?

Sorry if this question is very basis, remember, we all started at the beginning at one time.

Thanks!!

Default Re: Xara long page problem

If you really must have all the text in one page then you can use layers. In the Page and Layer gallery click on 'New Layer' (page1, page2 etc etc) and paste the relevent text on each layer, and then link page numbers (text or buttons - your choice) within 'Pop-up layer'. Having said that, why not have each page as a separate page, seems better than reading through pages and pages of text.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

You probably need XDPX9, the bigger brother of your application.
    Download the trial.
    In File > New, look for the A4 1-Column template.
    I've just got up to 108 pages.

This creates a Print Document. The URL stays as index.htm for all 108 pages.

In XWD9P, I have managed to extend my page to 10368 px high.
    beyond this you get an error message saying the maximum page height is about 9 feet or 2.75m.

The sensible way would be to include Next & Previous buttons at the foot of a normal web page instead.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by skech View Post
    Having said that, why not have each page as a separate page
    ... seems to be a consensus of two here.

Sing out if you need a simple design file to get you started.

Acorn

Did not know about xwdp9 Acorn, good tip.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Welcome to TalkGraphics TheCrashmaster

Can explain the reason why you want all this text on one page?

I agree with Sketch and Acorn that one web page per page of text might be more convenient. Or at least break the content down into a handful of longer pages the way some of the newspaper websites handle long articles.

But maybe we are missing something.

The reason I need on consecutive page is that I'm putting a legal document on the web for others to search from. It would be about a 100 page deposition. I went ahead and downloaded XDPX9. In the File>New, I will move my stuff over to this format.

NOTE: I moved my webpage to this format and it still stops after about 10 or 12 pages of text. About the same place as before. I'm still getting the same error: The page height you entered was invalid. It must be a positive, non-zero measurement, maximum for page and margins is about 9ft (2.75M), minimum 4 pixels.

How do I get the 100 pages you mentioned? Any other settings I need to do?

Open a new file.
    On the index page, with the Select tool picked, click and repeatedly drag the bottom of your index page downwards. It eventually stops at 10368 px.
    Scroll back to the top and
    create a text line across the top.
    Copy and paste your long document.

Personally, I would look to saving such a document as an HTML document, copying directly into a DIV tag and built all from Notepad.

Acorn

Actually, version 9 can create a HTML document. Create a new (assuming you are in the US) File > New... US Letter 1 Column document.

Copy your legal text and paste it into the first page. The document will add pages automatically to accommodate the text and it will number each page. Once you have all the pages in place, then you can create anchors for key parts of the document (you will be asked if you want to create a Web Document -- you do) then highlight the text for the anchor, open the Name Gallery and name the anchor selection.

Link to the anchors from the top of the document (Link > Anchor). The anchor names will appear in the Anchor drop down list.

Acorn
    I tried what you suggested and it stops at the same place as it did before. About 10 to 13 pages long. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong. Can you tell me one more time, going step by step. Sorry, I'm really sort of new to this Xara.