Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default PDF shows two different tones of black.

Hello! Something I just can'g figure out is a poster I have created when processed to PDF, shows the black on a graphic to be of a darker black than the background black even though the eyedropper shows them to have the same values. I've tried several work arounds but nothing works. When viewed in the program, there is no issue, but as mentioned, once converted to PDF, can can definitely see the difference in shading. Any ideas? Thanks.

And yes it's Graphic Designer 6, I know I should upgrade, but can't at this time.

Default Re: PDF shows two different tones of black.

One of the blacks will probably be a rich(er) black than the other, regardless of the picker.

What are the values? Can you attach a sample?

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    One of the blacks will probably be a rich(er) black than the other, regardless of the picker.

What are the values? Can you attach a sample?
    Thanks for looking at it. The values I believe were 0,0,100 #FFFFF or something like that for both. It now says they are called name color print black.
    Attached Files Attached Files

You will see that on the sides around the graphic with the spotlights, it is a lighter shade of black.

Nice poster.

The Print Black named color is 0,0,0,100 (CMYK black). The image is RGB black 0,0,0. You will always get a difference in black color that way. Changing the background rectangle to RGB 0,0,0 I get correct output as shown in the screen shots. the screen shots are from within Acrobat and was exported using the PDFX-1a profile. The red-circled color picker is inside of Acrobat. One shows hovering over the bitmap, the other over the rectangle.

So try selecting the rectangle, open the color editor and choose RGB. Set it to 0,0,0. And note that it will likely already be those values once you pick the other color model, so move one slider a little and then move it back.

Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-000963.png 
Views:	161 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	100200

Name:	capture-000964.png 
Views:	148 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	100201

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Nice poster.

The Print Black named color is 0,0,0,100 (CMYK black). The image is RGB black 0,0,0. You will always get a difference in black color that way. Changing the background rectangle to RGB 0,0,0 I get correct output as shown in the screen shots. the screen shots are from within Acrobat and was exported using the PDFX-1a profile. The red-circled color picker is inside of Acrobat. One shows hovering over the bitmap, the other over the rectangle.

So try selecting the rectangle, open the color editor and choose RGB. Set it to 0,0,0. And note that it will likely already be those values once you pick the other color model, so move one slider a little and then move it back.

Mike

Name:	capture-000963.png 
Views:	161 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	100200

Name:	capture-000964.png 
Views:	148 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	100201
    Yes! Thanks you! So if I understand the situation, because one's value is cymk and the other is rgb, that is how the values were different in the pdf even though it wasn't noticeable on the actual .xar document. Much gratitude!

Yes...in that when 0,0,0 is converted to CMYK, it will have values in all 4 places not just 0,0,0,100. It is the only way CMYK can approximate rgb.