Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Startup Error - Unsupported Fonts

Folks,
    I have a question about a number of errors I'm getting when Xara starts up (Designer Pro 9).
    Upon startup I get errors stating that particular fonts are not supported and they have been substituted. These documents were originally created with Xara Xtreme or other Xara versions in the past. The files are large and very complex so recreating from scratch is not an option and manually locating is not possible.

The error advises that I use the Name gallery to identify the fonts and change them; however, when I go to the name gallery only supported and normal looking fonts are listed. I have written down the font names from the errors to assist me in looking for them but not one of them exists in the name gallery (in any open document). I have also saved each document numerous times so even saving after the software automatically substitutes doesn't help.

Every time I start up Designer 9 I have to first click ok on 8 error boxes in order for the program to start up. It's an annoying frustration on every startup.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so is there any advice on how I might locate these fonts so I can eliminate or change them?

Thanks in advance for any advice or assistance.

Default Re: Startup Error - Unsupported Fonts

What's causing this is in the earlier versions of Xara you could create a bold and italic version of a font if an actual bold or italic version did not exist.

Recently, Xara removed this capability to be more consistent with other pro design applications.

So, if you accidentally ignored the warning that making a font bold when one did not exist, or if you open an older document that contained simulated bold and/or italic, you will get that warning.

If you go into the Name Gallery, you can highlight all uses of the flagged font and change it as needed.

You may need to click on individual pages to get the font to show in the name gallery - I found it only showed the fonts on the current page when I had this problem.

Christine

Thanks GW and Christine,

I originally didn't see any of the offending fonts in the name gallery but after following Christine's suggestion of going page by page, I did see one of the fonts so this is probably the way to go. unfortunately my documents are too big and too complex to go page by page. I've been using Xara since 2004ish so I have a great deal of documents and many are very long and complex (I've been using Xara as a Word Processor for a number of years). I am also showing some of the offending fonts associated with graphics (no idea how a font can be associated with a graphic with no text, and thus I have no idea how to rectify other than deleting).

I have too many files that would need changing totaling hundreds of pages, some AO size full of text and graphics that I use as worksheets. I was hoping I was just missing something or there was an easy workaround but that may not be the situation. In any case, it looks like I may just have to live with this extra step when starting up the program.

It's a great program so I can't complain too much. I just need to live with a little annoyance upon start up.

Thanks for your help,