Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Persistant Pasteboard Backgrounds & Color Change Errors

XDPX9
    Windows 8 64bit - 8 gigs memory - a couple of terabyte drives - etc....
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________

I would be tickled more than pink with this program that I have a love/hate relationship with to be able to port
    ALL my sites and work over to Xara - but for some reason I always find it to be untrustworthy.... stability speaking,
    especially, and most notably for large(r) projects....

Been a user since ver. 4 - so I'm not here griping - just a bit frustrated presently because I absolutely LOVE this Pro.

Ok, here's what I'm dealing with and I also wonder if anyone else is finding, or has found the same problem?

It's as simple as this.... I start out fine... humming along building (even) a simple, smaller site of 20 or 30 pages.... and it NEVER fails that when I
    add a pasteboard background from the designs gallery and begin to change the colors, I get the 'attached' errors. Maybe it doesn't happen until
    the 5th page, or 10th page, and sometimes immediately on the site creation.

In past versions, (on a variety of different puters) there was always something else to deal with, but I didn't care because I didn't build websites with Xara. But I figured in XDPX9,
    it would have worked out all (most) of the little annoyances.... But this pasteboard thing is keeping me up nights.... I so want to use Xara as my main app!

Anyway... enough crying. If anyone can offer any suggestions or insights into why or what may be causing this.... I'll buy them a house...

Thanks as always

Cliff

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ERROR 1.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	100176Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ERROR2.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	100177Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ERROR3.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	100178
    Last edited by cmpan1; 08 January 2014 at 02:17 AM. Reason: d_mm typos
    http://pianomagicnewsletter.com/ (never done - never time for me)

Default Re: Persistant Pasteboard Backgrounds & Color Change Errors

Well, after a complete uninstall and reinstall of X9

and a two hour cleanup of anything and everything that might be interfering with it...

and making sure it has ALL permissions and having it run as 'admin'....

and changing Windows 8 settings to the absolute minimums...

and uninstalling a few under-the-hood apps (stardock stuff) that I thought might be contributing....

and checking all security apps making sure there's no blocking of any kind....

I'd like to head straight for a bottle of booze of ANY kind.... but it's now 4:20am where I am.... and....

I GIVE UP! I SURRENDER X9! YOU WIN!

G'nite Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are.

Cliff

(I gotta find something else to do with my time)

Quote Originally Posted by cmpan1 View Post
    It's as simple as this.... I start out fine... humming along building (even) a simple, smaller site of 20 or 30 pages.... and it NEVER fails that when I
    add a pasteboard background from the designs gallery and begin to change the colors, I get the 'attached' errors. Maybe it doesn't happen until
    the 5th page, or 10th page, and sometimes immediately on the site creation.
    Hi Cliff,

Does this happen with any document that you have worked on or particular ones?

After getting the access violation and closing Xara, when you re-open it and repeat the steps does it happen again or are you able to re-produce this? If so, could you drop your file as a ticket here: http://support.xara.com and let me know precisely what you did so I can replicate it?

Thanks
    Rob

If you want to use the same background pattern on all pages, right click on the pasteboard, select Pasteboard Background > Copy Pasteboard Background.

Then right click again on the pasteboard, select Pasteboard Background > Paste Pasteboard Background on All Pages.

Hi Rob,

It doesn't happen with all documents... which leads to the obvious.... that the file is somehow corrupt.

And yes, after re-opening it, I can replicate the errors easily.....

Thanks... but before I submit a ticket, I'm going to re-build it new a see what happens... just to verify that it might be corrupt - it's only 5 pages at this point.

Cliff

Gary.... a little confused here....

I'm thinking... why do I have to 'paste background on all pages'? I know there's something to what you're saying, and it's there for a reason, but.....

when I create a pasteboard background even as simply double clicking a website background from the designs gallery, it appears on all pages...

So what is going on? Should it not appear on all pages automatically - and the process should be as you described? hhhhhhmmmmm...

Thanks

Cliff

I see/and found the difference....

If I start a site with (one page) and change THAT background.... all following pages with adopt it....

But, If there's multiple pages where no background as been applied yet, and you THEN add one to a page, the others will not adopt it.... therefore you're explanation.....

Ok.... I have to keep pestering you folks for a bit longer.....

I took just 4 pages of the file and re-created it as a new file, and as simple as possible structure wise.

I make the pages.... when finished.... I simple go to change the pasteboard color and BAMM!... all the errors come alive.

So, if I can trouble you, I've attached the .xar file so maybe you could possibly spot something that's happening or what I might be doing within the site that could cause this.....

I DO thank you for your time.

Cliff

01 - Polychord Book Main Site SubDir 1.xar ----- Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-8-2014 4-01-13 PM.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	100189

Yep, I can reproduce this on my computer with your file. Please submit this file to Xara support.