Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Unable to save document templates in Designer 9

I purchased Designer Pro 9 about a month ago. I have tried about 30 times, no kidding, to change the US Letter template from Arial 10 to Verdana 12. It happened again this morning and I've decided to finally come to the forum and find out what's going on.

Here's what happens: I open US Letter and make the changes, then choose Save Template. When I reopen it, it's still Arial 10. Makes no difference if I choose "Use as default template" or not. I even tried saving it as a template with a different name, Verdana 12, but it still opens as Arial 10.

As a test, I opened Designer 6, chose New, US Letter, and changed the font to Brussels 12. I then selected Save Template, saved it as Brussels 12, and closed out. Then I chose File/New/Brussels 12. It opened as a letter template with Brussels 12 point. That's the procedure I used years ago to change US Letter to Verdana 12 in Designer 6, and so the Save Template function still works in that version.

Because nothing I've tried seems to work, I am wondering whether any template I create will be saved in 9. Any instructions or suggestions to solve this issue will be much appreciated.

~ Celeste ~
    Last edited by Advocate; 01 January 2014 at 05:04 PM. Reason: html

Default Re: Unable to save document templates in Designer 9

I think that perhaps the new styles are getting in the way of how it worked previously.

Here's what I did that worked.

1. Drew out a text box.
    2. Changed the font to Times New Roman (Arial previously).
    3. Updated the Normal style.
    4. Deleted the text box.
    5. Saved the template, overwriting my normal opening template.
    6. Exited, restarted.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    I think that perhaps the new styles are getting in the way of how it worked previously.

Here's what I did that worked.

[LIST=1][*]Updated the Normal style.

Mike
    Thanks. It didn't work for me. I guess I did something wrong. What do you mean by "Updated the Normal Style"?

~ Celeste ~

Hi Celeste,

When you change from the "default" font, the style for it will show a Plus symbol like:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-000923.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	100073

Now, with the dropdown clicked, there is an Update Style...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-000924.png 
Views:	115 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	100074

Click that, save the template.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Mike's hit the nail on the head It is indeed the new styles that changes the way this works. Updating the normal style as Mike has shown will solve the problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thanks, Mike I don't know how you figured that out, but that did the trick. (I had to first click on the blank page for the "Update" style option to appear.)