Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default [Desg Pro 9] How to quickly add a few dozen images to a project

How are people importing multiple images into a projects. There must be some
    smoother way than diddling around with at least 2 dialogs for each image.

How can I batch import or whatever where the resolution and wither to merge or not
    is answered 1 time? The idea of answering 60 questions to import or drag and drop 30
    images seems way unnecessarily cumbersome..
    Xara Designer Pro 6.1.2.13287 Running on Win7 (64 bit)

Default Re: [Desg Pro 9] How to quickly add a few dozen images to a project

I do print work, generally just designing in XDP and the graphics go into a layout application. At most, there will be one or two bitmaps from outside of XDP...so I just tried dragging a couple dozen into XDP, and they just appeared on the page.

Hi,
    If you go to File import>navigate to directory containing the images then either "shift click" consecutive images or 'Ctr click' for non consecutive image they will all be imported. Now before hand you have to set preferences to import at image resolution (no scaling to 500 pix.
    Now when you open the image gallery all the images should be there to do as you wish. If they are you can delete from tha page you imported to.
    Jim
    p.s. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    I do print work, generally just designing in XDP and the graphics go into a layout application. At most, there will be one or two bitmaps from outside of XDP...so I just tried dragging a couple dozen into XDP, and they just appeared on the page.
    Like you've mentioned in past threads, you generally work with single page documents in Xara, so importing one or two images is no big deal - and I agree with you in regards to single page documents. Consider that I am currently writiing a 250 page book teaching how to create maps using Xara and other graphics applications. Each one of my tutorials consist of 3 to 6 pages with 3 illustrations per page followed by 3 pages of single illustration filling entire page each. And I am creating 25 tutorials in all, plus ancilliary chapters before the tutorials, and appendices after - and the entire document is being done in Xara. Some of us have needs for more than a couple images per document.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Like you've mentioned in past threads, you generally work with single page documents in Xara, so importing one or two images is no big deal - and I agree with you in regards to single page documents...
    My statement had a point—a qualification. I had not tried bringing many images at once. So I tried it and reported what I had experienced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    ...Some of us have needs for more than a couple images per document.
    Great. Wonderful and all that. Was I in some way telling the OP he was somehow wrong in his request? Or you? Or?

But if you would like me to comment on the inefficiencies of doing a series of books like you are doing in XDP instead of an actual layout application, I would.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    My statement had a point—a qualification. I had not tried bringing many images at once. So I tried it and reported what I had experienced.

Great. Wonderful and all that. Was I in some way telling the OP he was somehow wrong in his request? Or you? Or?

But if you would like me to comment on the inefficiencies of doing a series of books like you are doing in XDP instead of an actual layout application, I would.
    Sorry, I wasn't implying that your comment was mistaken nor inefficient techniques, rather that needing only a couple images for a given Xara document, so not requiring a need to be able to import multiple images is less a concern does not apply to all documents. Not all documents have the same needs.

As an aside, I am not seeking to find more efficient ways to create large documents, as I have been able to create large published documents using Xara alone, faster and more efficiently than any other application I have ever used, and I primarily rely on DTP apps for everything I do (for almost 30 years). Inefficiency would suggest that I have some bottlenecks in the design process, which I don't, so my current development process is perfectly efficient for my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Hi,
    If you go to File import>navigate to directory containing the images then either "shift click" consecutive images or 'Ctr click' for non consecutive image they will all be imported. Now before hand you have to set preferences to import at image resolution (no scaling to 500 pix.
    Now when you open the image gallery all the images should be there to do as you wish. If they are you can delete from tha page you imported to.
    Jim
    p.s. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
    That's basically what I'd do, Scotty. I've also found I can just drag the photos directly from the windows folder they were stored in directly onto the Xara pasteboard.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tonylondon View Post
    That's basically what I'd do, Scotty. I've also found I can just drag the photos directly from the windows folder they were stored in directly onto the Xara pasteboard.
    Like Tony I like that method also.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

For an oddball job that required over a hundred photos for a single page document, a few months ago, I was creating a photo family tree for a local customer. Basically they had all the information for the "Snook" family going back at least to the time of the Elizabethan Period, however for most of the last 4 generations of their family heritage they had individual photos of each family member - which was over 120 photos. So while I'd say needing that many photos for a single page document is a rare thing indeed, here was a job that called for a lot of photos.

As an aside, something I learned from that job, the family name "Snook" is actually a contraction of the words "Seven Oaks" referring to the name of the property in England, the family originally owned in the 16th century.