Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Graphics In Xara versus CorelDraw

I am struggling between using one of two programs for doing amateur graphics. The two programs
    are CorelDraw and Xara Graphic and Design.

I have used CorelDraw for a number of years and am fairly good at using the program as an enthusiatist.
    I have recently purchased Xara and have been doing the same kind of work in Xara over the past year.

Both programs can do much the same graphics but as you know they have different ways to achieve the results.
    And to my eye I see a difference in the results. I see a difference in the quality of what is displayed relative to
    colour richness, crispness, brightness.

Everyone tells me that there is no difference in the way the final result displays but I think differently.
    They say Xara just has better ways to display their images but there is no difference in quality.
    When I look at the gallery of photos for CorelDraw and then look at the gallery for Xara, to my mind
    the difference in the quality and clarity of what is displayed is world's apart. Xara's gallery of photos
    appears to me to be so much richer, clearer, sharper, more pleasing and I would say much more intricate
    in quality than anything I've seen in the CorelDraw galleries. I just don't see the same level of quality and intricacies
    in CorelDraw.

I think CoreDraw is a great program and does a good job and I know it is well respected but just don't
    see the quality I see in Xara. I have a loyalty to Corel and think it is hard to leave that, but I find Xara
    has the edge when it comes to work produced.

I am struggling between these two programs and wondered if you had the time could you provide me
    your advice and thoughts on these two programs from the perspective I have noted.

Thank you

Default Re: Graphics In Xara versus CorelDraw

I took the liberty of moving this to the Off Topic Chat which is better suited for this kind of question/discussion.

Which I use depends upon what I am doing.

If I am designing something that goes into a layout application, 99% of the time it is XDP I'll use--unless I have to turn over art to a client that wants the art in AI format. Then I will at least do as much as possible in XDP before taking it into AI. Only one client since 1989 has ever requested I use and return CD format files. There are certain jobs I do I will do the work in CD (screen printing), but like with the AI work, if I can do X amount in XDP before even starting up the resource pig that CD is, I will.

As for a quality difference? I don't see one between AI, CD nor XDP. For me it is the simplified usability that compels me to use XDP as much as possible. I am simply faster in XDP. I have used CD since version 1.2. I have used XDP since version 6 (whenever that came out). I have far more experience in CD marked in years compared to XDP. Heck, I have more time with Illy than XDP...I still more productive in XDP. That's what matters to me (output quality being equal).

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Which I use depends upon what I am doing.

If I am designing something that goes into a layout application, 99% of the time it is XDP I'll use--unless I have to turn over art to a client that wants the art in AI format. Then I will at least do as much as possible in XDP before taking it into AI. Only one client since 1989 has ever requested I use and return CD format files. There are certain jobs I do I will do the work in CD (screen printing), but like with the AI work, if I can do X amount in XDP before even starting up the resource pig that CD is, I will.

As for a quality difference? I don't see one between AI, CD nor XDP. For me it is the simplified usability that compels me to use XDP as much as possible. I am simply faster in XDP. I have used CD since version 1.2. I have used XDP since version 6 (whenever that came out). I have far more experience in CD marked in years compared to XDP. Heck, I have more time with Illy than XDP...I still more productive in XDP. That's what matters to me (output quality being equal).
    Thank you mwenz. gratitude 2013

mwenz,

I have another question.

Is is possible in Xara to add a fill/texture to a border on a bitmap without having the whole image changed? Thanks for your assistance.

Use Snap to Objects and create a box the same size as your picture that has no border.
    Then increase the box size and place it centred behind the picture.
    Apply any fill or transparency to the box and even add a border or shadow.
    Group both.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by gratitude2013 View Post
    ...Is is possible in Xara to add a fill/texture to a border on a bitmap without having the whole image changed? Thanks for your assistance.
    Sure. Another way using boxes is to make one that is around your image to the size you want the border. Hit CTRL+K, which makes a copy on top of the first rectangle. Resize it the same size as your image, perhaps a bit smaller. Select both rectangles, press CTRL+4, which slices the one from the other. Delete the inner portion.

Grab a texture or bitmap you want for the fill, or use one of Xara's. Get it on the page, delete it. Select the rectangle, select the fill tool. From the top drop down for the fills, choose Bitmap. The next box is for whether it repeats or not, usually I choose for it to repeat, but it depends on the fill image I am using.

Over a bit to the right is another drop down (of sorts). It will display the bitmap you wish to use for the fill that you deleted. Choose it. Resize how the fill fits by using the red arrow doo-wops in the center of the display.

In the last screen capture, I added a bevel type on that frame I created.

Take care, Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-000867.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	99941

Name:	capture-000868.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	99942

Name:	capture-000869.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	99943

Name:	capture-000870.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	99944

Hello Acorn and Mike,

Thank you both for your suggestions on how to add a fill to the outline border of a photo. Both approaches worked for me and allowed me to accomplish what I was hoping to achieve. Thank you both very much.
    One thing I would like to ask you both though is if there is an easy way to get the border outline around the photo to have the same width on all four sides. I have been eyeballing it and can get pretty close but I wondered if there was a way to make sure the width of the border was exactly the same on all four sides.

Mike, the type of bevel you used in the illustrations was beautiful. I tired the bevel options available in Photo and Graphic Designer 2013 but couldn't achieve the same effect. It's pretty neat how you have a small rounded line on the outside and inside of the frame/border. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks, Harry

Hi Harry,

The bevel is rounded 2...I think. I didn't save the example. And I am not aware of the types in P&GD. Sorry.

But I added a line to the frame. Then just added a bit of blur so it blends in a bit.

Harry, I would unlock the size ratio and set the width and height to the required dimensions. It involves some arithmetic but you have total control.

Acorn