Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Navbar issues

Default Navbar issues

This is my first website and this is driving me crazy. I haven't found a solution from scouring the forum and web. I have looked at tutorials. I have removed elements so The website is basically reduced to changing pages. I am not computer illiterate.

Summary of results -

Internet Explorer -
    - Mouse over doesn't work
    - Website locks up after changing pages more than 5 times

Chrome -
    - Mouse over doesn't work
    - Annoying screen redraw after page changes
    - Lower page background is shifted left

Firefox -
    - Everyting works fine

Opera - Not installed

Safari -
    - Annoying screen redraw after page changes

This should be simple. I chose Xara so I wouldn't have to fool around with html (at least no too much). I would appreciate any comments. I am out of ideas about what I'm missing here.

Kris
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Navbar issues

Kris, you have done a number of things that are making the site misbehave and probably very difficult to control when you are re-editing.
    Most of the problems are around the use of Repeating Groups (RG).

It will be easier to build it from scratch in the following way:
    1. Create your first page with the pasteboard as it.
    2. Add the slate grey as your page background.
    3. Add your four maroon bars to the MouseOff layer and lock; ensure you have Utilities > Web Properties... > Website > Other > Clip to page edges unticked.
    4. Add your green bar to the MouseOff layer and lock.
    5. In the Page and Layer Gallery use (Page) Duplicate to make your remaining 5 pages, naming them as before.
    6. Re-use your NavBar by copying and pasting to your new document.
    7. Finally, on each page's MouseOff layer, add in the page Title.

Only the Navbar needs to be an RG.

Acorn

Acorn,

Thanks for your comments. I have rebuilt the pages from scratch making sure that there are no conflicting objects. The navbar works fine now. I obviously didn't clean up my previous file as it had been through several iterations involving different groups and navbars.

I still have an issue with screen redraws flickering the screen to white before displaying the linked page in IE, Safari and Chrome. Firefox and Opera don't do this redraw or do it seamlessly as I don't get this flicker. Any thoughts?

Kris

Kris, it is because the browser is trying to render a page whose DOM is not fully loaded.

In Chrome, you can try the following:

1) Go to: chrome://flags
    2) Find the GPU Compositing and Threaded Compositing flags, and select "Enabled" from the dropdown
    3) At the bottom of the window, please select "Relaunch Now"

You might be able to fudge it by applying a transition effect with a delay to the links.

I don't think it is exclusive to Xara but a lot hinges around where caching (which is why I name most major images), the location of JavaScript files (they should be towards the end of the <body>).

If a Xara Admin reads this, I would be grateful for the official understanding.

Acorn