Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Off topic, I know.
    But I am desperately looking for a tool to limit the speed of my internet connection.

I have a fast line, but sometimes I'd like to really see a page I made with 56K speed for instance.

It is also very important that this tool can limit upload and download-speed seperately.

Anybody know something like this ??
    Or any native Win2K function to do this ??

All I find are Internet *acclerators* ...

Thanks
    Wolfgang

Off topic, I know.
    But I am desperately looking for a tool to limit the speed of my internet connection.

I have a fast line, but sometimes I'd like to really see a page I made with 56K speed for instance.

It is also very important that this tool can limit upload and download-speed seperately.

Anybody know something like this ??
    Or any native Win2K function to do this ??

All I find are Internet *acclerators* ...

Thanks
    Wolfgang

I did this very easily and saved money in doing so.

I avoided getting a highspeed link [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I therefore did not havr to pay extra and I get so see things like most others do.

Sorry - not the answer you were looking for.

I'm guesing you have ISDN or ASDL connected via a USB port? I'm also guesing you have got a 56k modem card still fitted? or did you bin it when you got the high speed? If you still have a 56k use it.

Turan

Why not just get a modem and install it? You can even find free ones kicking around. There a dime a dozen. Then all you have to do is get one of those millions of free aol disks/cds floating around to get connected.

The BEST is good enough!
    The BEST is good enough!

Turan and Ed,

actually I still have a 56K modem next to my computer.

But testing of bigger sites takes a lot of time and for making changes I'd like to switch to 'real' speed and back.

Being online with a modem is troublesome and most of all expensive.
    I am already paying for my leased line, I do not want to add online cost for modem-testing.

There's got to be another way ...

Wolfgang

Wolfgang:

Have you checked to see if your current ISP also provides a dial up connection as well as high speed? Just a thought!

I have a cable modem, and I have used NetZero for years, for free, and still use it to test website download times at dial-up speeds. You can still sign up for their free program, I think, and if you use less than 40 hours per month, it remains free.

It is pretty slow, even for dial-up. And you will remember without fondness, how much fun it is being kicked off, if you stop surfing to read something.

If you have a cable modem, just hook up your regular modem to your phone line, and your connection to dial-up will take precedence over the cable connection while you are connected through the phone line.

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Wolfgang

In theory a personal utility should be possible as Gozilla (the download tool) has a throttle on it to do just what you ask, but a search of Google yeilds throttle utilities to make connections go faster but no mention of making utlities to make it go slower.

If using a cable modem or ADSL connection I imagine it is somekind of network/router arrangement, perhaps there is a setting in this to limit the bandwitdh.

A search of the term 'Bandwith Management' at Google may help.

Note: typical dialup connection rates for 56K modems are in the region of 40 - 45K at least in my experience.

Peter

The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt

Peter,

true, I've been searching myself before posting - without success.
    I also know the download-limitation of GetRight, so principally it should be possible.

It seems strange to me, that such a tool would not exist, this should be any webdesigners daily choice.
    And it can't be so hard to make things slower if it is possible to make them faster, huh ??

Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,

I'm pretty sure I've heard of a product or technique to do this ... but I'm afraid I didn't pay much attention, since I'm doomed to sit on my dial-up modem line forever. I'd say your best bet is asking on your favourite web developers' forum, or on a list like webdesign-l.

Regards,
    Britta
    Regards,
    Britta