Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default help on old page left on my web site.

I am just enjoying using my Xara web software in a learning process. It's just for fun and is not an important creation. That said, I have discovered something I did not know. I have been creating one or two pages and experimenting with various lessons on how to connect things together etc. Then I have been publishing it to my site. Each time it was all new web pages and I expected it would overwrite everything there.

Just the other day by typing in my .com address into Google several things showed up. Including some pages I post to my site many months I believed I had overwritten them with new stuff. When I published the new creations I expected them to overwrite all existing pages. Question is how to I remove the page I don't want on there. they do not showing up when I type in my .com name, but only when I search the .com plus a / (forward slash) and the name of that page I created long ago. Example: http://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com/filename.htm

Sorry to be so uninformed, but just trying to enjoy my new hobby of using Xara and a web site.
    Thanks

Default Re: help on old page left on my web site.

Google indexes your site pages and they will remain in searches until Google visits again.
    If you click on one of these found pages, does it actually display?

Acorn

Acorn..........thanks for taking your time to help. As I stated I am just playing around with slowly learning how to build a web site. It is just a fun thing with me. I will give you an example here. My site is at ourcybershop.com type that in an you get a page showing some flowers etc. If you type in ourcybershop.com/mason.htm a page I created a while back that is not accessible or connected to the web site shows up with some pictures of a funeral I attended. The page is still functional. Just confusing to me, when I create a new page and uploaded it, I would think it would del and overwrite the old portions. Hope this makes it a bit clearer. As I stated I am just playing with the Xara program and my hosting site.
    Choctaw

The only way they will be over-written is if you publish something with the same name. Easiest thing to do if you want to get rid of them is to get a 3rd party FTP - Filezilla is good and free [decline the extra offers unless you want them] - enter your ftp details then you will see all the files you have uploaded and can delete them if required.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Quote Originally Posted by zaphodeist View Post
    The only way they will be over-written is if you publish something with the same name. Easiest thing to do if you want to get rid of them is to get a 3rd party FTP - Filezilla is good and free [decline the extra offers unless you want them] - enter your ftp details then you will see all the files you have uploaded and can delete them if required.
    I had always thought the Xara manifest file (xr_files.txt) was to allow Xara to delete old files from the site.
    I have watched the Xara site loader report that very thing at the end (Deleting file ...).

I can see the problem if you use an FTP program as then you have broken the mechanism and should upload to a blank folder; this would delete the partial update approach that Filezilla and the like use but if you have old, stale pages, you would have to do something like that or delete files manually.

Acorn

Don't know what version Choctaw is using, recent version 9 you can view the uploaded files and delete. Filezilla is just a simpler way of getting to them

The deleting file business you see in 9 is a different thing. As you know, previously one had to export locally [I still do actually, just in case] to the same place everytime then publish. As I understand it [!!] Xara now automatically exports locally to a temp folder then publishes, the deleting mentioned is the temp folder and its contents
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

That's useful to know.

Thanks,
    Acorn

Using Designer Pro X and Designer MX Premium. Read in the software book on Xara to use Explore Web Space choice to view and delete files that have been uploaded to FTP Server.

That's fine then

If you are registered with google webmaster tools then you can remove urls indexed by google, just enter the url and it does the rest, takes a couple of weeks but it does work.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk