Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Email, Phone Number etc.

I am new to webdesign and am thinking about the ramifications of listing my phone number and email in my contact page as text. I have seen some sites where the email is listed as "email at something dot com", rather than "email@something .com". Same for the phone number. Of course the info could be turned into an image also. The proliferation of spam and unwanted robot phone calls is annoying at the least and debilitating at worst. Am I being paranoid? It seems if I want to have an email pop up to send me a message, I will have to have my email in a text format somewhere in my web information so this negates the use of an image.
    I am looking for some input on current practice so I don't have to go through an unpleasant learning experience.
    Thanks.

Kris

Default Re: Email, Phone Number etc.

Mr. Kris

If it is important for people to phone you, then list your phone number. Whether you have it in text or as a bitmap does not really matter.

If you use a link such as Send email or Email Me/Us and then link to your e-mail address, Xara will scramble the e-mail address on publish to keep it from the robots that crawl the web harvesting e-mail addresses.

You could also have a bitmap version of your e-mail address but I think that with recent versions, Xara adds the text as an Alt Text tag which kind of defeats the purpose.

My elder ,

Simple solutions. I am glad to see Xara scrambles the email address. Is it not possible to change the alt tag to something else if a bit map is used for some number or address?

Kris

Now that I think about it, if you just create a bitmap vs. grouping the text to force it to export as a bitmap, then you'll be OK.

What I was thinking is if you take some text and group it with a rectangle or just group it, Xara will create a bitmap but will also add the Alt text. But if you create your own bitmap, then there will be no Alt text unless you add it your self.

Does that make sense?

Gary,

I get that. Thanks.

Kris