Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unstable

Hi, Have you upgraded any windows compnents? I find that I have the greatest problems after downloading upgrades for Windowxp Home after some of the upgrades patches are installed. Try doing a restore to point just before the update if you have updated recently.
    right now I am communicating with Microsoft tech as some update security patch won't install at all.
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Klaus Nordby:
    Kernel32 is THE Mother of All Windows OS files. VERY fundamental. Don't mess with her.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Klaus is right here. If you know anything about the inner workings of the "root" of a system then you will know or now know that anything that has a "kernal" in the name is probably pretty darned important to the system. Linux is the same. You delete that and you delete your system in very simplistic terms. Of course I don't think the system would allow that to happen, I don't think, at least with most Windows sytems, I think you would be denied permission to delete such an important part, considering http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

I hope my information previously was of help to your Dave. It was info passed on to us from another smart guy in here a little while back and I think it's great to have XaraX set to create backup files. YOu will notice that if XaraX crashes usually a file will be created and it's usually a good copy, not corrupted. At least im my experiences!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Richard http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I used several fills and blends in that file. Does this tend to overload them? I noticed it ran slower bfore going bye bye.

Dave Cowles AKA Organ Donor

www.3DCaricatures.com
    Spartanburg, SC
    Dave Cowles

www.CowlesDesign.com
    Spartanburg, SC

It's hard to say what causes the files to corrupt from time to time. It's probably happened to more of us than come forward. For some it's probably something not worth getting upset over and for you, and I too, it was something to get steamed up over.

I was begining work on "Pan and the Fairy Goblet", once was an airbrush painting that went south. I had scanned it into the computer and began restoring and finishing it digitally. There are parts of it that I am creating as vectors so I can export them in any sized PNG or GIF that I need to import into either PhotoPaint or PhotoImpact (I'm leaning more towards PhotoImpact at this moment in time, it handles vector and painterly techniques) At one point, in the middle of some of the very intensive work, well I didn't save, I was just getting comfortable with the program and then it slowed down, then it froze and then it just shut down with an exception error warning dialog then BOOM bye bye file. I was pissed off big time, tested my faith in working in digital media but then I realized that there wasn't anything that could be done. Believe me I tried everything, asked questions here untill I was blue in the face and thought I was going to be kicked off the forum (at least in my paranoia), I was pretty bent out of shape over the mess.

So then I set out and learned all I could at the time to get into the habit of creating backup copies and to start to save, save, save all the time and that helped to prevent things from going south on me.

Then some master mind user figured out that registry item. God knows why it's not turned on by default or included as an option in the Options dialog but it's not and that's not so good, IMHO.

There are alot of folks that create images that are so full of fills and other effects. It's just a fluke in your case, and mine and others too.

I do know that ever since I built my own system and upgraded from Pentium III to IV and moved to XP Pro from Win2000 Pro I have been in much better shape.

My old system is at work now. Good system, Win 2000 Pro SP3 and PIII and over 512 RAM and plenty of disk space as well as being tweaked to death for top performance and XaraX still runs "funny" on it. On XP it's pretty darned good and stable.

So there you have it Dave. Good luck and remember to save, save, save.

Richard http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

---Wolff On The Prowl---

[This message was edited by RAMWolff on March 09, 2003 at 22:21.]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I used several fills and blends in that file. Does this tend to overload them? I noticed it ran slower before going bye bye.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Whenever my own copy of Xara X crashes and corrupts it is usually when I have some blends with lots of (100s) intermediates. Trying to slice a blend in particular.
    Tony
    Tony

Don't forget that it could have been a nice watercolour...nearly finished...whoops - there goes my jar of water. D***n s**t etc

www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk