Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vector Grunge

Default Vector Grunge

It's been a while since we had a grunge challenge, here's a new one, with the idea being that the end result has to be pure vector.
    You can use any bitmap effects you want, but the idea is that you can open it in any vector interface and it will be vector.
    For example, Illustrator or Acrobat won't throw a wobbly if you export your work as a .pdf file and things look a bit weird.

My example was made using The FX tool>Distortion Filter>Add Noise and then running it through the Bitmap Trace utility for a vector result.
    A pdf file is attached, which you may have to unclip to inspect the file.
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vector grunge.png 
Views:	285 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	99408  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Default Re: Vector Grunge

An attempt that works in PDF: grunge2.pdf

I was trying for this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grunge2.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	99428

Acorn

I have been trying something different but so far I can't get it to convert to vectors.
    Last edited by wizard509; 12 November 2013 at 03:51 AM.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Here is one where I just subtracted a lot of holes.
    Almost legible anyway !
    - Andy

Name:	New Grunge-1.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	99431   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Grunge-1 bones.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	99432  

Thanks for accepting the challenge,everyone. The great thing about these challenges is that we can probably all learn by doing.
    @ Acorn: I had a look at your .pdf file and noticed when removing the clipping mask (Alt+Q), that there are still raster elements in it. If you have a look at the screen grab I've attached, you can see the tell-tale jagged edges around the edges when I zoomed in. Another clue is the information displayed at the bottom left hand corner of the workspace. I know I'm being pedantic, but it could be important if you were presenting this as commercial artwork.
    Another thing to bear in mind is the use of Xara's unique gradients. If you are using plasma, cloud and other fills, they may not be recognized in other applications. For example Illustrator will convert these to bitmaps as it doesn't know what else to do with them.
    I see that Andy has used the Arrange Menu>Combine Shapes>Subtract or Slice Shapes command to create the holes in his work (ergo=vector). Unfortunately, the graphic he has uploaded is low resolution and I can't tell if he's used a drop shadow (raster) or a grey copy of his vectors. Attaching either a .pdf or a .xar file would eliminate any doubt.
    Anyway, keep the entries coming, a challenge isn't supposed to be easy!
    Bob.

Name:	grunge.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	99453  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

It's not pedantic, I didn't realise it would have any rastering for the steps I used.
    It was your challenge and I have learned something new, so grateful.

Acorn

P.S. I now realised the jaggies came from using ClipView. Obvious really.
    Last edited by Acorn; 14 November 2013 at 07:42 PM. Reason: An aha moment.

Bob: You said, "...with the idea being that the end result has to be pure vector."

Others may know, but, can you clarify for me what you mean when you say that the result has to be pure vector?
    If I draw something in Xara, then what is that, if not vector?

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    Bob: You said, "...with the idea being that the end result has to be pure vector."

Others may know, but, can you clarify for me what you mean when you say that the result has to be pure vector?
    If I draw something in Xara, then what is that, if not vector?
    +1 for those questions, unfortunately I neither sure about these definitions.

In my understanding if a shape has bitmap fill, that is clear okay not vector. Similiarly the live effects assumingly. I learnt here in TG that the bevels are also bitmaps.
    But the color gradients in those several patterns should be vectors, I believe also the feather should be. The fractal plasma and cloud transparencies also sounds vectors for me, as assumingly some mathematical variations result those. Or for example extruding something in Extrude tool that is vector? Seeing the small file sizes, the tip is that so yes. But briefly so I am not clear at all in these.

Hi Rik,
    Glad you asked. Attached are 3 files.
    No.1 is a file made in XDP9 with shapes using vector tools. They have each been given different fills and effects.
    No2 is an export of the .xara file as a .pdf X at 300 dpi for commercial printing.
    No.3 is the .pdf file imported back into XDP9.
    If you examine File No.1 closely, you will see upon zooming in as far as you can, that there is blurriness in parts of the shapes.
    If you open the .pdf file in Acrobat reader the shapes all look pretty similar.
    If you open the third file, or import the .pdf back into Xara, you will see that parts of the shapes have become rasterized.
    Click on a shape, look at the description at the bottom left of the Xara workspace to see "1 Clipped Shape On Layer Imported from PDF."
    With a shape selected press Alt+Q on the keyboard to unclip and you'll notice that you have raster objects that look on examining File No. 1 to be vectors.
    I hope that explains it clearly enough for everyone. Oh, by the way, one of the six shapes is a real vector!
    Bob.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for the detail, Bob.

I think what I'd like to know is, what to do and when?

If I draw something in Xara, without any fills etc, I assume that there's nothing to do but to post that, as it will be vector.

But, if I apply a bitmap fill, then what do I need to do, so that it is worthy of entry to your challenge?
    What stops something from being vector, and what does someone need to do in this case?

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone