Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I am coloring a drawing and I want to give a gradiant of color to the eyes from yellowish to green. I tried the radial gradient but for some reasons do not look natural. Any suggestions? There is something like a gradient paintbrush ?
    IP

I am coloring a drawing and I want to give a gradiant of color to the eyes from yellowish to green. I tried the radial gradient but for some reasons do not look natural. Any suggestions? There is something like a gradient paintbrush ?
    IP

I enjoy doing a lot of work with eyes, and I may be able to help. Part of the reason the radial gradient will not look all that great is because the gradation from colour one (yellow) to colour two (green) in the eye takes on the pattern of a sunburst moreso than a smooth radial transition.

Try the following. In one Layer create a linear gradient from left to right using your yellow and green colours (I used Green and Black in the example for visibility's sake). Then use the Wind filter on the layer, coming from the left. Give it a good blast, followed by a couple smaller gusts (regular wind) to get a smoother effect. Then, Rotate the Canvas 90 degrees CW. Use the Polar Co-ordinates filter to change from Rectangular to Polar. You should end up with something like the following. You can play around with it some more to get the exact look you want, but this should give you a good start.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Radial.gif 
Views:	399 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	3770  
    IP

Wow spectre, that looks great. It would work wonderfully for the undelying area of the iris.

I think you could even use your technique to add few muscle details in the iris too. I guess just enhancing the edges and using slightly different colours. Really cool

Be sure to add some shadow to the underside of the curved iris. Highlite too

Name:	eyes.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	5338  
    IP

Thanks Beth. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Yep, the tip I gave was really only for the underlying part of the iris, as you mentionned.

Now that you mention it, I completely forgot about the shadow/highlight combo to make the eye look more realistic.

As well, I found that if you add a slight application of the Ripple filter before you convert Polar Co-ordinates from Rectangular >> Polar, you can get a descent facsimille of those "wavy" effects in the retina, as in your example. Another way to do it would be to invest a couple hours with the smudge tool (at 75% or so), and several duplicate layers, but who has the time?... Hehe

I used a second layer overtop of the first one, with a lighter blue colour than the base layer and changed the blending mode to Colour Dodge.

Name:	Radial2.gif 
Views:	392 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	11367  
    IP

Keeping an eye on things (*thank you,.. thank you,.. I'm here all week ladies and gentlemen*), I found this tutorial on how to go about replicating the iris of the eye. Pretty good. Pretty long, but hey, I guess it all depends on the amount of detail you want to put into it.

Hope this is of use.

http://www.kandsdesign.com/kim/eyemap-tut.html
    IP