Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Dreaming the dream

After seeing "iamtheblues from Granada" assist a poster in the PaintShop Pro forum... , the thought (for 'thought' read 'wish') popped into my head that it would be sooo wonderful if Xara could turn the tables on Corel and acquire PaintShop Pro, which is an excellent program, but could be even better, if ..

How about it Mr. Moir?
    Xara & PSP already live side-by-side on the taskbar of my computer :-)

A girl can dream, can't she?
    :-)
    Grenou

Default Re: Dreaming the dream

A sure sign of getting old is answering one's own post.
    But as I can't edit the original...

I deduce from the 84 'Views' that 84 people are in shock over this suggestion, but must find it so far fetched that commenting is one step too much :-)

As it's highly unlike to ever happen (what a shame - a combined Xara and Paintshop Pro would beat Adobe hands down!).

Grenou

Well, I don't have any experience of any of PaintShop Pro, I didn't feel that I could anything to what you've said.

So, could you tell me how Xara would benefit from acquiring PaintShop Pro?

Would it add some great vector Tools?

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Paint Shop Pro is an excellent bitmap editor. I've never liked its "vector" tools.

I think Xara has more than enough on it's hands with Xara!

[ Grenou, there is an irony in your request - many years ago Corel turned the tables on Xara and we had Corel Xara. They did very little besides advancing CorelDraw. Eventually Xara resurfaced and moved forward, but lost a lot of time]
    Last edited by pauland; 02 December 2013 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amoore View Post
    Paint Shop Pro is an excellent bitmap editor. I've never liked its "vector" tools.
    It's a great shame that Corel never touched the vector tools in PSP, maybe they thought that by acquiring Xara they could learn something, but they didn't.
    They did other things, but that's going over old ground.

At the rate free bitmap editor are popping up everywhere, I can't see PSP surviving. Hence my (ok, rather optimistic) request.

Grenou

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I think Xara has more than enough on it's hands with Xara!

[ Grenou, there is an irony in your request - many years ago Corel turned the tables on Xara and we had Corel Xara. They did very little besides advancing CorelDraw. Eventually Xara resurfaced and moved forward, but lost a lot of time]
    Yes, I know.. ;-)

I can't see PSP flourishing if someone doesn't come in and 'rescues' it.
    I have been part of the beta testing since version X (first version Corel took on) and feel I am wasting my time.
    A merger/buy-out would be very beneficial, but I can understand that Xara wouldn't be too pleased at having to take that on.

For using vectors, Xara scores 100%, but I miss the bitmap editing nitty-gritty of PSP, hence my comment :-)
    Thinking out loud isn't always a good thing, but that's how I felt when I wrote the post :-)

Grenou

I had a big long post ready to go yesterday about how I hadn't needed to update my Paint Shop Pro for years, but then I went and looked at the Corel site, and saw that PSP X6 had 64bit support, so I broke down and bought it at the Cyber Monday sale price.

That being said, the two programs work very differently (and work well together because of that), so I'm not sure how much opportunity there would be for feature or UI trading.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by ad1066 View Post
    I had a big long post ready to go yesterday about how I hadn't needed to update my Paint Shop Pro for years, but then I went and looked at the Corel site, and saw that PSP X6 had 64bit support, so I broke down and bought it at the Cyber Monday sale price.

That being said, the two programs work very differently (and work well together because of that), so I'm not sure how much opportunity there would be for feature or UI trading.

-- Ben
    Oh dear, my comment cost you money.. but not a lot.
    The pricing is good at the moment. X6 works well.
    Don't forget that you can't use 32-bit plugins in the 64-bit version (yet) :-)

Talking of upgrading software, Xara is the only software I buy 'without looking', now there is a vote of confidence! :-)

Grenou

No, my looking on the website and seeing 64bit support cost me money (and with the deal yesterday, it was only $40). And it was money well spent. Just got it up and running, seems to be alright so far. There was an issue with MDI windows not resizing when zooming in and out, but a patch had already been released and it's fixed now.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com