Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: FACT: Xara has a crippled, out-of-date type-engine.

Here is how Illustrator and InDesign handle glyphs.

The drop down menu shows the extended character groups (when present) for each font. Then once you make a selection, the characters for that selection are displayed. In this example discretionary ligatures.

The other thing that needed to be addressed is most of these fonts with the large number of glyphs are OpenType fonts which are not represented in the Fonts Gallery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Illustrator Glyphs 1.png 
Views:	302 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	99454   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Illustrator Glyphs 2.png 
Views:	221 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	99455  

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

+1 I can see this being very useful across the whole range of Xara products. From Website design to graphics to layouts. This should be at the top of that list.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

+1 for me too. This is one of the weakest areas in XDP that Xara really needs to improve. Itīs probably the one that's keeping me from using Xara to it's full extend on a daily basis. A good text composition engine is fundamental to support all areas where Xara can be used as @angelize already pointed out. Adobe still does a much better job here - not talking about inDesign -, just Illustrator. As do Pageplus.
    I agree it should be at the top of the list too, especially now that Xara is moving to desktop publishing with a dedicated application.

Hi im a long 10 adobe users looking to jump ship from adobe. I have not used xara but will use their trials soon. My list for adobe alternatives were corel, xara and serif. Im a graphic designer.

If xara cant fully support open type and things as ligatures, lining numerals and glyphs that is a huge punch in the gut to xara for graphic designers and typographers. Xara is down on the ground and adobe is watching with a grin as corel and serif are kicking xara in the gut and head while its down with each one trying to compete to impress adobe. There is almost no way they could redeem themselves from this. They could have the best bit map editor (photoshop), best digital illustration (corel painter), best vector drawing (adobe illustrator or corel draw), the best photo light room (light room or corel after shot) and all for 300$ and still not win me over without open type!

I checked and searched all the designer products and no search results for open as in open type or mention of actual advanced type features. How can you have a dedicated desk top publishing program and claim to the be one-stop-shopping for designers and not fully support open type! Adobe has had open type for more years than I can remember and thats just in illustrator not including indesign. How can Illustrator a vector drawing program beat out a dedicated layout program that claims to be for professionals. Suddenly serif is looking much better than xara.

Good thing I decided to wait till I graduate in july to decide on which programs I get. Try each companies and see what they do in the next few months. This knocks xara down a peg or two and almost off my list of adobe contenders especially since they have no excuse as they released a new designer pro edition this year. This is truly sad! How can word perfect and microsoft word being word processors not even microsoft publisher or corel draw beat a dedicated layout program. This disgusts me.

Xara says on the Designer x9 Pro and Page and Layout designer:
    ALL THE DESIGN TOOLS YOU NEED
    Xara Designer Pro offers all the tools that a creative designer could need for illustration, text handling and page layout.
    Designer Pro offers everything you need for handling text in your designs.

Designer Pro offers everything you need for manipulating text.
    You can enter your text at any angle and you can also set your text along a curved path. Additionally, just like any drawn object in Page & Layout Designer, you can freely resize it on the page, and produce creative display text by applying any of the effects, such as transparency, fills, molds and so on - and yet the text remains editable.

Like any word processing program, you have full control over the text style and format - you can change the font, size, color and justification of the text, alter the line spacing, tracking and kerning, and have bold, italic, superscript, subscript or strikethrough. You can set margins, tabs, indents and outdents, and easily create bulleted or numbered lists (with your own custom bullets and numbers if you wish).

Text can be entered as stand alone single words or lines at any place in the document, or in single or multiple columns with advanced text flow controls between the columns, and with formatting controls such as column and page breaks.

And there's an added bonus; Xara's industry leading screen rendering makes the on-screen text a more accurate representation of the final print result, especially at small sizes or rotated.

These are not advanced text tools. Now days even microsoft word and word perfect can do these as standard features. Dont try to say these are advanced for 2013. They were 10 years ago for word processors but not now and not near advanced for desk top publishing 10 years go. They were standard.

Quote Originally Posted by MyCoalescen View Post
    ...How can you have a dedicated desk top publishing program and claim to the be one-stop-shopping for designers and not fully support open type!...
    Xara Designer Pro (nor the other Xara applications) are "desk top publishing program(s)."

Compare XDP to AI, DrawPlus, CorelDraw, etc (etc here meaning vector drawing applications).

And here is how CorelDraw deals with alternates, ligatures, etc.

Highlight text and a drop-down arrow is displayed. Click on that arrow, what is in the font, for those characters, is displayed.

I think now that Xara products have rudimentary paragraph styles, then these OT features might as well be added there too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-000714.png 
Views:	170 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	99456  

Oooh !

I have used nothing but XDP for years and didn't know about these OpenType features.

+1 from me to get this supported.

Quote Originally Posted by MyCoalescen View Post
    How can you have a dedicated desk top publishing program and claim to the be one-stop-shopping for designers and not fully support open type! Adobe has had open type for more years than I can remember and thats just in illustrator not including indesign. How can Illustrator a vector drawing program beat out a dedicated layout program that claims to be for professionals. Suddenly serif is looking much better than xara.
    Just to clear some things about my previous post: Xara has now a dedicated desktop publishing software: Page & Layout Designer 9. Thatīs the program i was referring to. But despite the number 9, it has a "subset" of Xara Designer Pro 9 features and is in fact the first version of a software exclusively dedicated to page layout / desktop publishing from Xara. So it's natural that it doesn't have all the the features of the competition. Iīm sure Xara will improve it over time with specific features for desktop publishing.

Xara Designer PRO started as a vector drawing program like Illustrator. It never was a "dedicated layout program that claims to be for professionals" as you pointed. So youīre being a little unfair in your comparison. Xara simply decided to go for an integrated approach and has been added a diverse set of features for photo edition, web publishing, desktop publishing etc over the years to a point where it is a now a very capable software in a lot of areas. Text composition isn't simply one of them yet. And itīs one thatīs deeply integrated in the way the software work. So i suppose it's not an easy task.

Besides Open Type there's other critical features missing, like hyphenation for example, or more specific bits like optical kerning, baseline grids... So if youīre looking for strong text composition tools your best bet is InDesign or Quark Express. Serif Pageplus is a great choice if you don't want to spend much money as it covers almost everything the big guys do, but donīt count on it for any illustration purposes. For that Serif offers Drawplus (which uses a proprietary file format that's not supported by PagePlus directly - at least it was not a couple versions ago), but as an illustration package itīs miles away from what Xara is able to do, even considering it has some sounding tools like gradient meshes and some sort of skeletal brushes (both bitmap and vector based). Problem is none of them are sufficiently/deeply developed to be powerful enough or even efficient. They have several restrictions which means their scope is kinda limited (iīm considering more the vector part here - thatīs what we are talking about after all - vector illustration software).

Finally, Adobe is a giant in the software world. Although i have compared software's features from Xara and Adobe, we can't forget they're a world apart in terms of financial, human and ...(insert whatever you want here) resources. So certain things may take some time to come. Better text composition tools and brushes are those (in my mind) in more need right now. Thatīs why iīm supporting the request for full open type support. For all the rest Xara is the way to go for me.

NO im not being unfair im being honest. It claims to be ALL you need for professional work PERIOD. Look up xaras own products and how they describe them PERIOD.

Hear read it and I quote:
    Xara Designer Pro offers all the tools that a creative designer could need for illustration, text handling and page layout.
    Text Handling
    Designer Pro offers everything you need for handling text in your designs.
    You can enter your text at any angle and you can also set your text along a curved path. Additionally, just like any drawn object in Designer Pro, you can freely resize it on the page, and produce creative display text by applying any of the effects, such as transparency, fills, molds and so on - and yet the text remains editable.
    You have full word processor style control over the text appearance and formatting. You can create Text Styles, alter justification, tracking & kerning, indents/outdents and tabs and line spacing and easily create bulleted or numbered lists (with your own custom bullets and numbers if you wish). And there's a spell checker.
    Text can be entered as stand alone single words or lines at any place in the document, or in single or multiple columns.

Page Layout
    Designer Pro offers everything you need for professional DTP, combining advanced text controls with flexible page layout features such as drag and drop editing of images and automatic text flow around objects.
    Designer Pro is great for single page designs such as business cards or adverts, but it can also handle more complex multi-column, multi-page documents with ease, with automatic text flow onto new pages, automatic page numbering, full control of headers & footers, and very flexible controls over columns and the text flow between columns. And you can have single page or seamless double page spreads supporting across-the-spread graphics.
    Uniquely Designer Pro can publish your multi-page print document on the web as a single scrollable document - it's easy to view, totally WYSIWYG, and perfect for fast skimming and browsing of long documents or sharing your documents with others, without the bother of PDF. Example web document.

Designer Pro offers everything you need for manipulating text.
    You can enter your text at any angle and you can also set your text along a curved path. Additionally, just like any drawn object in Page & Layout Designer, you can freely resize it on the page, and produce creative display text by applying any of the effects, such as transparency, fills, molds and so on - and yet the text remains editable.
    Like any word processing program, you have full control over the text style and format - you can change the font, size, color and justification of the text, alter the line spacing, tracking and kerning, and have bold, italic, superscript, subscript or strikethrough. You can set margins, tabs, indents and outdents, and easily create bulleted or numbered lists (with your own custom bullets and numbers if you wish).
    Text can be entered as stand alone single words or lines at any place in the document, or in single or multiple columns with advanced text flow controls between the columns, and with formatting controls such as column and page breaks.
    And there's an added bonus; Xara's industry leading screen rendering makes the on-screen text a more accurate representation of the final print result, especially at small sizes or rotated.

Consider this:

CorelDraw x6 which was released in march 2012 and is almost 2 years old and has open type features and advanced text tools as Mwenz mentioned which are professional. Also consider that x6 is corels first edition with text heavy tools. Did i forget to mention that Draw also started as a vector drawing program? Has all the major functions of Indesign cs4. I am highly impressed by corels first text heavy attempt and if they keep on this track their next edition x7 which will be in the next few months will probably be like cs 6 and only a step behind indesign nipping at it heels. Yes CorelDraw suite is 500 but they always run sales for 10-20% off and right now during their black friday sale its 400 + free shipping + a free 100$ programs thrown in + web creator and photo-paint. So really draw by itself is more like 100$ (but you cant buy it alone).

Xara Page and Layout designer x9 was released in summer 2013. This is xaras first edition with text heavy tools. It is missing many vital text heavy tools. It is a good start but dont say it has "advanced" text tools. It came out 7 years after indesign cs2 and 1 year after corel draw x6 yet is worse than both and is the newest of the 3. Im a graphic designer and just finished a 24 page booklet. There is no way I could have completed it with the lack of advanced tools. Some things would not have been possible and others would have taken me 2x as long to do it manually.

Microsoft Publisher 2013 released in january 2013. I have not used it but I do own publisher 2007 and tested it. It has a surprising number of advanced features for being 5 years old. It is not as powerful as cs2 indesign but considering it a consumer product meant for people who know very little of layout its pretty good. Publisher 2013 does have open type and ligatures and other advanced type options and looks good for a prosumer. How sad that MS a consumber company can beat xara who is seriously trying to compete with professional programs and adobe. Did I forget to mention it is around 100 the same as xara?

Serif Page Plus was released in 2013. I downloaded the FREE starter edition which is basically a free version of 2 editions back that you can keep forever! It is comparable to indesign cs 2 with a face lift. The full version is probably more like cs 3-4. Consider how a free product can be better than xaras new product? If you decide to pay for the full version it will be better than xaras. Did I forget to mention it is around 100 the same as xara?

Adobe Indesign cs2 was released may 2005, almost 8 years old. Look indesign has character/paragraph styles, tracking, kerning, leading, and many other now standard text tools in things like ms word and corel word perfect. These are STANDARD not advanced in this day and age. After cs 2 adobe has very much slowed its progress of valued upgrades. It also has advanced features as open type options for ligatures, lining numerals, hyphens, justification tolerances, glyphs and a myriad of other ADVANCED type options. If xara cant beat an 8 year old product which in the software/technology world is as old as a fossilized dinosaur they are in serious trouble! Consider that adobe does not even care about cs2 and is almost giving it away for free and xara cant beat an unregulated near free download?

As you said xara is lacking in DTP and serif is lacking in vector drawing. Good thing corel has a toe-to-toe competitor to Illustrator with CorelDraw and is only a step behind Indesign with coreldraw. Again my best pick for alternate to adobe software is corel. They are also always running sales. They have their black friday sale for the next week. It is stupidly good sales. Some products 85% off for 9.99$ + free 100$ program thrown in, for 9.99 i get Painter Lite that can be upgraded to full painter with a discount and 160$ worth of product. Almost everything is on sale has free shipping and includes the same 100$ program for free. Their flag ship products as CorelDraw is 20% off, Painter is 40% off, Paint shop ult is 50% off and word perfect office is 60% off. Stupidly good sales. I just ordered Painter Lite for 9.99 and Paint shop ultimate for 49.99 for a whopping 59.98$ with free shipping and 2 copies of the free text motion design software valued at 100$. Sorry all but with the sales corel is doing and their quality product there is no way serif and xara stand a chance. Im waiting for corel draw x7, paint-shop x7 and word perfect office x7 in the next few months before I buy them. Adobe is could be in a world of hurt if corels next few products are as good as their reputations shows they will be. True corel does not 100% match indesign but as you said give them till their next edition for that comparison. Honestly dont think many will jump to Quarkxpress because its actually 30% more expensive than indesign cs 6...

That is no excuse for a bad product or false advertising. If the product was not ready they should have waited until it was ready. If that is xaras answer to Indesign it sounds like a failure. They are not going to win over any indesign users if it cant do the core things indesign could do in cs 2! Here is a screen shot I just took from indesign cs2. The game company Blizzard is great about releases. They will propose a date for a product and push it back as many times and for as long as it needs to be great quality. They often push their products back 2 years because they want it to be great instead of just throwing a half baked product out and expecting you to deal with bugs, updates, upgrades and expansion. Dont put it out if its not ready!

Name:  cs 2 indesign screen.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  68.1 KB