Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Re: Frustrated by a client?

Nice find, Paul. Perhaps a challenge thread should be started to come up with some more examples.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

here's the classic

MAKE THE LOGO BIGGER
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Actually sketch, when I worked on a lot of Japanese accounts, it was always make logo bigger and use led retters.

We always knew we were in trouble when the account executive would come back from the client (pre-computer days), and say, THE CLIENT LOVED THE AD! THEY REALLY LOVED IT. They did ask if they could see one with just the product and a simpler headline, something like, out product is great. Then the account executive would assure us ten ways to Sunday that they would sell the client off the simple ad.

Point 17 is one I am all too familiar with..

and the list goes on.. pity we have to be so tactful in responses
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Rignt on Paul and xtom, I think #10 says a lot at least the text does not the image. The image gives a false impression I think. I don't remember the old saying but it is something like "10% inspiration and 90% perspiration."
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Here is one "Just get the image from my website, but can you make it look crisp and clear in print?"

Oh and " I want the smallest ad space but I want 4 paragraphs of copy, artwork and my logo nice and big!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

My local graphics shop is in kind of a hiatus status in that I am trying to convert from local customers to strictly serving the roleplaying game industry creating maps and map objects. Why? Because business is down, and I am sick and tired of serving local customers who all give me the grief as presented in the above article. I am essentially shutting my local business down (handling only the fewest of customers, and those that give me the least grief.) While there is some back 'n forth communication in creating an artistic map for publishers, really I am in control here, not the publisher. As long as the publisher has a rough draft version of what he wants in a map, along with textual description, and knowing which of my artistic styles they prefer (hand-drawn, hand-drawn digital hybrid, digital only) - those are the only options clients get to have. Running a graphics company catering the gaming industry is much less grief than dealing with typical customers. I'm done with typical customers.

I had a customer once that needed an alteration to a stain-glassed window design. The design was square 20" x 20", the window was rectangular at 24" x 16", but the customer didn't want me to stretch the design, nor crop off the top and bottom.... (teeth grinding). So I added to the design on the left and right side with content that wasn't included in the original, just to fill the space. I first tried to describe the customer this, "remember when you were a kid and there was a wooden puzzle where you place star, circle, triangle, square shaped blocks into frame with cut-outs for each shape? A square block won't fit in a rectangular hole (in most cases) - this is the exact same problem..."

Quote Originally Posted by skech View Post
    here's the classic

MAKE THE LOGO BIGGER
    Or maybe the real, gut-busting classic is...

CAN YOU MAKE IT SPIN?

Click to start the animation. In case you weren't sure, the client is the one in the blue shirt...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40262-NO.gif 
Views:	53 
Size:	356.5 KB 
ID:	99530

Great thread, Paul, BTW.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.