Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Purchased Pro X9 from newegg as a download - do I get my CD and printed manual?

Yes it a Xara product, however Magix now owns the company but Xara still are the developers. Magix has their own version but I don't know what the difference is. Basically I think they are the same program with the same features. I agree it is odd that even though Magix owns the entire thing that they have a competing version. In the future it would be best to always purchase from Xara.
    Have you looked on newegg to see what is included? It might not include the CD and printed manual. Usually the CD costs a little extra and you have the option to purchase it or not. I kind of think you will not get a printed manual and CD, I'll have a look at newegg and see.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Default Re: Purchased Pro X9 from newegg as a download - do I get my CD and printed manual?

OK I had a look on newegg, and it is a Magix product download. Is that what you bought? There is no mention of a printed manual or CD and the impression I got was you get the download only. Therefore if I were you I would burn your setup download and the registration information (or serial number, whatever you need to activate the program) to a CD just in case you need it in the future.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Thanks Wizard. I agree with you that there was no mention of a CD or a manual on Newegg's website - so buyer beware I guess. The only plus on this deal is that I got it on a pretty sweet deal at the time.

Having said that - I did receive an email this morning from Xara.com support asking me for my address so they can send me a CD - so good job Xara - thank you. No mention of a printed manual though, but life goes on.

From what I can see after trying the 30-day demo from Xara there is not a single thing different that I can see with the version downloaded from Magix. Everying is labeled "Xara this" and "Xara that" inside the software.

In fact as of this very second the Xara Designer Pro X9 download is on sale at Newegg.com for $59 - holy cow that is way cheaper than even I purchased the software. Newegg changes the price on that download daily so keep your eyes open if you want the software for a killer price and don't mind not getting the CD and Manual. It almost acts as right after someone buys a copy the price jacks up, then goes down in price to snag another sale. When I purchased my copy it took about 24hrs for newegg to send me the activation codes. So heads up on that. But it activated just fine.

Anyways - I'd recommend DO NOT pay full price ($299) for this on Newegg or Magix vs buying it direct from Xara.com. Doing so runs the risk you'll pay the same price and not get all that Xara offers if you buy it from them. Nothing against newegg, nothing against Xara. The software obviously is sweet.

Ok, I'm over it and moving on to drawing some stuff and learning the ins and outs of the software. Haha.

Thanks for all the help.
    Last edited by Frogula; 13 November 2013 at 04:35 AM.

It's really great that you gave the software itself a 2/5 rating on newegg - that's phenomenally unfair.

Yes, to down-rate the product because you are not supplied with a printed manual (which you weren't even promised when you bought it?) and before you've even used it properly it is a pretty mean thing to do; it shows we have to treat user reviews with caution.
    Tony

Consider that I recently purchased Xara Designer Pro 9 directly from Xara (as an upgrade), but it does not automatically come with a printed manual. I am required to purchase that separately - which I did not do, as the Help menu is usually enough to fulfill my needs - I've used Xara since Xara Xtreme (first version), so aside from new tools and features, I am very familiar with using Xara. I've almost never used any of the printed manuals from previous editions (once or twice only), so I consider a waste (for me at least).

So just because you didn't purchase it from Xara or Magix directly, doesn't mean you were shorted any material, even at Xara or Magic if you want a printed manual you have to add that on separately, it doesn't automatically come with the purchase of the software. (In fact if the manual did automatically come with the software, I'd consider that padding the price unnecessarily - if I wanted the manual I'd pay for one, and I want to be given the choice, not forced to purchase the manual.)

And for the person who rated Xara as 2/5, that must mean all other graphics software is a 1/5, since in my experience Xara is the best graphics tool on the market and has been for almost a decade - I use lots of different graphics applications, so I know.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 13 November 2013 at 04:12 PM.

I started to type up a defense of my negative newegg review but have decided against it. I don't want to become known as "that stupid Frogula" guy on these forums AND I agree I shouldn't have rated it so low during a bout of frustration - please forgive me. I will try to do something about the score I gave it on Newegg.

Xara Designer Pro X9 itself rocks and I already have told others I work with about how cool the software is and they are looking into possibly getting it themselves. None of them had ever heard of it before - they are all Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop users.

So please don't hate me.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Frogula; 13 November 2013 at 11:35 PM.

I think Frogula, made amends on the newegg site. Its now just a pretty positive review . And I added a 5 star review as well but it has yet to be approved. I also bought in on the newegg deal ---and have no need of the cd and the manual can be found online so no troubles for me there buying this dl deal. that said am super excited to be a new owner of Pro Designer 9 ----my first couple of days with it has been a very nice experience indeed.

Rich

Thank you Frogula. I'll never understand why you made the original rating ( don't try and explain ), but I'm glad you've done the right thing.

It's not about you giving it five stars, it was about you giving it two stars for entirely the wrong reason.

The software is a 5/5 for me.

But, is there ever a need to upgrade again?
    Just wait a while and you'll get the software for a fraction of the price.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone