Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I was just looking at the google results for my name and came across a very excellent site (that has nothing to do with me). It features 'microscopy' images of all kinds of things. It has many hundreds of beautiful images. One interesting section shows the little pics silicon chip designers sometimes hide on their chip designs. Another features microscopy pics of the beer labels of the world. The pics of cocktails are particularly beautiful. Every image I saw was appealling. I was surprised to see the relatively low numbers on their page counters. The site clearly hasn't been discovered yet by the masses.

A great site! Check it out here. Unfortunately all the images I saw are not in the public domain - if you want to use any you have to get permission from the copyright holders.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on July 28, 2001 at 06:36.]

I was just looking at the google results for my name and came across a very excellent site (that has nothing to do with me). It features 'microscopy' images of all kinds of things. It has many hundreds of beautiful images. One interesting section shows the little pics silicon chip designers sometimes hide on their chip designs. Another features microscopy pics of the beer labels of the world. The pics of cocktails are particularly beautiful. Every image I saw was appealling. I was surprised to see the relatively low numbers on their page counters. The site clearly hasn't been discovered yet by the masses.

A great site! Check it out here. Unfortunately all the images I saw are not in the public domain - if you want to use any you have to get permission from the copyright holders.

Regards, Ross

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on July 28, 2001 at 06:36.]

Be sure to check out the above site's image use page. They do make it easy for you to contact them seeking permissions.

I have contacted the site's owner with a request that he extend to us all permission to use his images in derivative works posted here and in the Xara Gallery Forum. I'll let you know when I hear back.

Regards, Ross

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on July 28, 2001 at 07:59.]

Almost every night, Ross. With sunset skies like this who needs TV?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

believer oh be smut
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunset.JPG 
Views:	351 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	9219  

Gary
    How do make these beautiful photos?
    Do you have a digital camera ?
    I am thinking you must have a nice digital camera.
    I have a vivtar but the quality is not so good.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

I noted above that I contacted the site owner regarding permissions. He has replied favorably! This is what he wrote:

"Ross,

Your conditions are satisfactory to us, provided you and your artists give us the appropriate credit for any derivative works.

Regards----Mike

Michael W. Davidson
    National High Magnetic Field Laboratory
    1800 E. Paul Dirac Dr.
    The Florida State University
    Tallahassee, Florida 32310
    email: davidson@magnet.fsu.edu
    web: http://microscopy.fsu.edu
    "

And here is what I had written to him and which outlines the conditions of use he agreed to. (If you want to use his images in any other context you have to get his permission):

"Dear Mr. Davidson,

I stumbled upon the Molecular Expressions website today. It was a very enjoyable discovery for me. The microscopy images are consistently beautiful and the site very informative.

I'm an Architect who in my spare time enjoys developing computer graphics. The software I use is called Xara X and I moderate two non-commercial online forums of Xara enthusiasts and artists. I am hopeful that you might extend permission to the forum users to allow the use of your images in non-commercial derivative works of art. Perhaps the permission could limit publication of any derivative works to the online forum and we can require (and enforce through moderator team participation) that appropriate credit be given. The quality of artistic works produced by forum participants can be quite high. If this proposal is acceptable to you, I can imagine you could benefit by having the potential to add to your site a gallery of derivative artworks based on your images. Perhaps as part of your limited permission to us to post derivative works at our forums, could be the right for you to republish (with appropriate credit) any of those works at Molecular Expressions.

The forums I'm envolved with are: The Xara Gallery and The Xara Forum. Participants are from all over the world. The forums are on TalkGraphics.Com which is a public service to the computer graphics community and is sponsored by Xara Ltd. I hope you'll visit and I look forward to a response on this proposal.

Regards, Ross Macintosh"

I hope others will explore the Mollecular Expressions Website and if they find images that inspire, feel free to create a derivative work for posting in the Xara Forum or the Xara Gallery Forum. I think the microscopy images would make great textures, backgrounds, tracing materials etc.

Have Fun!

Regards, Ross

PS - Beautiful sunset Gary. Do you see those everyday?

What a wonderful site Ross. Its always amazing to see what the individual molecules look like. The Amstel photo is beautiful, who would have thought that putting millions (zillions?) of those together would produce a glass of beer...kind of like what's done with Xara, building layer by layer but the building up rather than tearing down produces the beauty...

Gary, when is the sunset watching party at your house...I want to make sure and mark my calendar [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Mickie

Mickie -- Nightly, no invitation required but a bottle of good wine is always appreciated.

Bruce -- I have an Olympus C-3030. Instant gratification.

Sorry Ross, I'm out of here.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

beehive or bus melt