Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 2013 to .PDF

seems hard to imagine any font not having a space character.

Christine

Frutiger is one of the classic fonts. http://www.linotype.com/469/frutiger-family.html

Looking at geez's screen shot it is clear that what is happening is the X boxes are appearing where accented characters are. These are non-standard characters that Frutiger does not recognize. A more recent font will have the extended language support and as discovered, the accented characters will now appear correctly.

As far as I know it's not a commercial font but it is readily available to download. It's our company's corporate image font and it's widely used in all our publications and website now. I actual prefer it to Arial, but for this exercise they are going to have to put up with it. The final font size is 4pt so I don't suppose anyone will notice.
    You're a life saver Christine, thanks again.

At 4 pt I don't think anyone could tell the difference.

Frutiger is a commercial font:

Frutiger is a sans-serif typeface by the Swiss type designer Adrian Frutiger. It was commissioned in 1968 by the newly built Charles de Gaulle International Airport at Roissy, France, which needed a new directional sign system. Instead of using one of his previously designed typefaces like Univers, Frutiger chose to design a new one. The new typeface, originally called Roissy, was completed in 1975 and installed at the airport the same year.
    If you purchase an updated OpenType version your foreign characters should be supported.

Another alternative, if you haven't already thought of it, is to get the PDF export to convert all text to shapes. Then, in theory, you can use any font you like that's on your PC and the PDF should look the same whether viewing it on an iphone, an Ubuntu laptop or a Windows 2000 PC.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.