Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Printing on canvas questions (several)

I would like to create a collage of my grandsons from birth to present for a Christmas present. I have seen advertisements for printing on canvas. Hence my questions:

Have any of you ever done this? And have you been satisfied? I see where Walgreens, Walmart, Costco, offer this service anyone ever use one of these?

Suggestions on creating the collage would be greatly appreciated. I plan to include only the pictures where both of my grandsons are together. Naturally the subjects would be cut/pasted from several source photos. Any suggestions on how they could be layered together (not sure if that is phrased correctly).

After creating the collage, what format/resolution would you suggest (using DPX9)? At this point, I am not sure of the final size of the canvas, but I definitely would like something larger than an 8X10. Could someone possibly upload a collage so that I might have some idea of what I am getting into?

Thank you for your time.

Bob
    IP

Default Re: Printing on canvas questions (several)

Bob I don't know if this is what you want but I assembled these with Xara.
    One was for a pixmark challenge using various free photos they had. The other I assembled just for fun.
    I looked into printing on canvas at one time, but I wanted to do it with my printer. Walgreens sounds like it should be good at least I've had good luck with them. The others are Probably good too.
    As far ad resolution I would use the highest you have and if need be reduce the size of the finished product to fit the canvas size you choose if need be. I should think png would be good Format although I don't know that for a fact.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4 pixmark challenge.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	99285 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A brief history of me.png 
Views:	214 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	99286
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.
    IP

Sure, I print to canvas all the time. It is sometimes called giclee. I run my own digital print shop, so I've never used Walgreens, Walmart or Costco, though I know they do these services, and have had clients who've used them and told me about it. They seem to do a decent job, however waiting 2 or more weeks for delivery can be problematic. If you aren't extremely specific on the intended dimensions, resolution, etc, you might not get exactly what you want - so be very specific. As I said, I have my own large format inkjet printer (Canon IPF760) and print to inkjet canvas all the time. The canvas does make the print look professional, but the surface makes needing high resolution less important as the canvas texture adds its own detail to the print.

When I've made collages in the past using Xara, I tend to slightly overlap each image, then a apply a heavy feathered edge on all photos so they kind of blur together at the edges. Try not to include any white space showing up between the photos of the collage. If white edge appears as you feather a photo, move it slightly to cover the edge of the next feathered photo. You may need to rescale the photos so that all the photos are generally the same size.

While I've printed some 24" x 36" canvas prints, 18" x 24" seems more popular. Whatever dimension you decide you want, I'd export the image as a 300 dpi TIF or JPG.

Note printing to canvas is kind of expensive, costing anywhere from 150 - 200% the cost of printing to paper. Something to think about.

Michael
    IP

Larry, thanks for the reply. Of the two samples that you posted, I had in mind something like the first one where the pics are all mixed together.

Michael, thanks also for the information. I appreciated the suggested canvas sizes and also the dpi. I am starting this project now in anticipation of delivery delays when the Holidays arrive.

Bob
    IP

Used Costco Bob out of the ones you have mentioned. Good quality as they use a special calibrated printer, maybe a bit pricey, there are good ones online as well but can't remember who I used. But just your local print shop will print out a canvas (re-enforced paper) for you but you might have to frame it yourself, that is what I do. I have one in my house which I did which is 4 feet by 6 feet nearly of a boat flying over the stern of mine in large waves. Did smaller ones in vector of portraits that I did from photos of people & dogs which they paid me to do. Knocked up a frame then hot glue gun and staples and the jobs done.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Forgot to say I bought the frames from IKEA. Took their print off and used the frame as at that time they were only £7 for a 70 x 100 cm. To print locally me at that price is about £7/12 depending on the finish.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Larry interesting to see you in that history, good one
    IP

One additional question that I'm not sure I understand. I have selected, cut, masked, color corrected, etc. my selections. Now do I select File - New - US Letter and resize the document to 24x36 inches/paste/arrange my pics? I am not sure how to obtain a 24x36in canvas on which to work. And thanks for the additional suggestions.

Bob
    IP