Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Printing on canvas questions (several)

Create a new document at US Letter size. Go to Edit/Page Options and change the dimensions to 24 inches high by 36 inches wide. Open your existing graphic file. Select All, Arrange/Group, Edit/Cut, close your graphic file. In the new 24 x 36 page document, Edit/Paste. If needed rescale the drawing to fit the 24" x 36" background. Export as 300 ppi JPG, TIF or PDF file. That's it - it is real simple
    IP

Thanks for your patience! I really appreciate your help.

Bob
    IP

As a follow up, I followed 'Gameprinter's' suggestion above. I exported as a 300 ppi JPG, TIF, and a PDFX, PDFX3. Walgreen's and Walmart's would only accept JPG. Had it done at Walmart's and I am extremely pleased with the results. I tried numerous times to save in the PDF format, but it only saved it in an 8.5X11 format. Can you not save large format in PDF? If I am doing something wrong, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for all the help.

Bob

PS. Walmarts online had a special BOGO (Buy one get one free).
    Last edited by BobMoyer; 03 November 2013 at 03:06 PM. Reason: added post script
    IP

Never mind about the PDF question, I realize now under 'options', I had the default page size set to 8.5X11. Once I reset it to 20X24 the PDF file was perfect.

Bob
    IP

I don't think so. You can create at say 40% but when exported it should be full size. If you imported your images at 40% they will be smaller in the document, and should show up much smaller in relation to everything else on the page. Put simply zoom has nothing to do with the final exported size.
    IP

Please remember that the default for colour is CMYK, would give them the option of Jpeg as most of these printers really want RGB. Also hate to say the obvious, that the imported pictures right through to the final composition each picture should have the highest possible dpi as you can have. I know the textures of the canvas can give at fuzzy look but each picture in your composition should at least have150 dpi with the page size the same as the canvas you want so the higher dpi the better. You can leave the rest to the company who is printing it, they have a programme which convert bitmaps to the resolution they want
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Most digital and web press printers prefer to do the CMYK conversion from RGB themselves, in my experience. Different print devices have different specific color requirements and optimizing the CMYK to their specific needs is often better done in-house than as a prepared PDF file from the designer. Often the CMYK conversion has to fulfill specific ICC profiles for a given printer. When I inkjet print to canvas, or really any media, as a digital printer, I prefer 300 ppi art set at the scale of the final print dimensions. If art is non-textual lower resolutions can work, but if the print includes small text, the higher the resolution the better.
    IP