Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default how to bevel round

How do I make a round object really really round? I keep getting this chiseled look no matter how I set it. The top and bottom of a rectangle have a cut glass look and I want this to be completely ROUND. Not just the top and bottom, but the whole thing needs to be round and beveled.

Thank you
    pslane

Default Re: how to bevel round

Round and beveled sounds at odds--at least I cannot picture it. So how about a screen shot of what you have and annotation to how it is incorrect.

The bevel depends on the shape it is applied to - a rectangle with right angles will always have faces instead of being round. However, if you use a rounded rectangle and increase the diameter of the rounded corner (hence rounded ends) then given a rounded bevel, it will appear very round and no 'faces', as in the example below.

If you use shapes with hard corners you will never get a "highly rounded" shape with any bevel applied, it has to be a rounded shape.

Name:  rounded-shapes.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  4.8 KB

Okay, then how do you get this shape without cropping? (Attached image) This is from the tut.
    Thanks,
    pslaneName:  round_xara.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  9.0 KB

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

That is fairly easy. Just create your rectangle shape, and apply a linear fill, going from gray to black (left to right).
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

That is a 2 color Linear fill and I would guess it is from the other Gary's (Bouton) tutorial because that looks like his technique.

Start and end the fill path arrow about 1/5 way in from the edges.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linear.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	879 Bytes 
ID:	99254  

I use gradation to imply 3D depth and rounded shapes in my map work all the time, but it is only 'implied 3D' not actual. I tend to use a repeating gradation (with only a single repeat) showing the highlight at the center fading to black to either side. In the image below, a top down medieval saddle is shown at the top. On the seat itself, a repeated linear fade for a depth through shadow effect is achieved. But as in gwpriester's example above, it's just a linear fade effect and not actually "round nor 3D" at all. Also in the example, the gradation is given > transparency/stain-glass so it merges with the leather of the saddle itself to blend in color-wise. (I use actual 3D modeling/rendering for some work, but that is using actual 3D software, not Xara).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	saddle.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	99255
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 29 October 2013 at 02:56 PM.

Ooooh, so this is not a bevel. Well, duh..
    Thank you for your help. Now I remember doing this before in another tut. This tut just says to make it but doesn't go into detail.

bcire68, are we related? You have my family resemblance! lol

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Hmmm... You never know, coldwetnoz. My father is originally from South Carolina.

I noticed the family resemblance as well.
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.