Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default 301 or 302 redirects?

Hi, I know this question is not strictly about Xara web designer, but I looking for help on pointing a domain name to a website created in web designer and uploaded to Magix.

I have bought a domain name from 123 reg which I need to point to my website hosted by Magix. I have been told that 302 redirection is the only way to redirect my newly bought domain to my website and have the new domain in the address bar at all times. Is this correct, as I thought 302 masked forwarding was a temporary measure and frowned upon by search engines.

Is there any way to set up a 301 with my new domain name shown in the address bar at all times, using CNAMES for instance, as I don't want to be penalised by the search engines? Thanks

Default Re: 301 or 302 redirects?

Generally this is done by first obtaining a DNS address from Magix then pointing the servers from 123reg to this DNS address (actually it is usually two DNS addresses).

So check the Magix site or contact their tech support to determine the DNS addresses to use then go to 123reg and ask them (or research) how to redirect the Name Servers to Magix.

ok thanks, I found the nameserver adresses on the whois directory, but what happens now to my mailbox with 123 reg? All mail will be directed through the magix nameservers. Is it just a case of using the magix webmail instead? is there anythin else I need to do, or should what I've done have the required effect? Should I keep the 301 redirect in place?

With other hosting providers this is how it worked for me. After pointing your domain to the new nameservers you will need to recreate the mail accounts on Magix servers. Once that is done you may need to get Magix to update the A record for your domain. After that you could get mail split between servers for a day or two until it propogates fully. Depending on your host setup you might need to update the account details on your desktop mail app

Hi, I've just been to the Magix website to recreate the mailboxes, but I can't create a mailbox unless I have a domain name registered with them. Will the domain name be registered with them once the new nameserver has propagated?

Best to contact Magix support. They will know more about how to go about this than most of us here.

Try this page and look at the FAQs http://www.magix-online.com/us/help-support.219.html This is for the US. But the material covered should be generic to all supported countries.