Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default Re: Is this a swastika-style logo?

Well, damn if that isn't perverted!

From Religion.org:

The swastika's Indian name comes the Sanskrit word svasti, meaning good fortune, luck and well being.

I'm not even going to go there, and I sorta feel this thread has outlived its original purpose.

(Google indexes with all sorts of keywords!)

-g
    IP

Gary, if you take the literal translation of the component words then it is actually Swas (pure) Tika (mark). The svast can be used in the word svasthy meaning healthy or wholesome, so the nazis may have taken these meanings for their ideology.

It just goes to show how anything can be corrupted and ruined by a small group of fanatics to their own end. For many generations (certainly among the people of the former british empire, the union jack flag has stood for a symbol of aggression and oppression, but slowly this image was eroded and immigrants into britain began to adopt it as a symbol of good, but recently it has also been hijacked by the far right of britain and now it has got to a situation whereby non-white britains see it as a symbol of hatred and there has been some work to re-claim the flag back from fascists, the Olympics certainly helped an awful lot.

Makes you wonder if the swastika will ever re-claimed as a symbol of peace in the west, because it is certainly seen as a symbol of peace in the rest of the world.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk
    IP

@skech—

Experience and history has taught me that something that was tainted can't really ever be reclaimed. Example: The William Tell Overture. No one knows it as that, but if you mention the Lone Ranger Theme, you're spot on.

I think this discussion has moved in an interesting way off the article illustration, but as such, and as this has become a hot button topic with respect to tg's guidelines regarding political and religious issues, I've been asked by an Admin to close this thread before it wanders into insensitivity.

Gary
    Last edited by Gare; 06 November 2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Admin asked me to modify the thread
    IP