Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: Is this a swastika-style logo?

Hah. I should never type using my phone! Or I should get newt glasses so I can sea spelink and gramatikal errrors.
    IP

The colours used are the away strip colours than Man U uses so no I wouldn't take it to be a swastika. That's just me!
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-24691368 As suspected, "New Order" was a reference to the band that in conjunction with the graphic was disturbing. "The creative is completely inappropriate; we apologise unreservedly and are taking appropriate internal action."

@Bob: I agree btw that things like this often display over-sensitivity, but the context in this case [football and its past in some areas] should have been taken into account imho. If they had used the logo without "New Order" there would not have been a problem.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I agree that the logo without "New Order" wouldn't have been an issue. It was putting the two together that caused the problem. I think as well the timing of it probably added to it. We are nearing the end of October, and I don't know the customs elsewhere but here the Poppy campaigns will be starting up and here at least Remembrance Day is beginning to come to our thoughts. In the US I believe it's called Veteran's Day, I'm not sure what the day is called in the UK or anywhere else but I'm pretty sure that Nov.11 is set aside for some sort of remembrance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

November 10th is Remembrance Sunday here Frances or commonly known as poppy day by some younger people. Yes you are right that the timing is a tad unfortunate.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk
    IP

The eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month is Remebrance Day.
    Quote Originally Posted by skech View Post
    November 10th is Remembrance Sunday here Frances or commonly known as poppy day by some younger people. Yes you are right that the timing is a tad unfortunate.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11
    IP

Not only the native indians, also in India it was/is used, not strange when you know that Hitler associated himself and his idea's with aryans, a race living in that area. So it is a general symbol. The nazi symbol is actually a swastika in a white circle on a red field.
    And the colors red and black where more associated with the anarchists movement in those dark days.
    be aware, not to become a ware.
    IP

@Grace: - Remembrance Day, here at any rate, takes place on the second Sunday of November or the Sunday nearest the 11th November. This year it falls on the 10th
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64
    IP

When I was a boy in San Francisco in the 1950s, I noticed a weathered metal swastika high up on the side of a brick chimney... on a large home in Presidio Heights. What! Had it been the German Embassy before WWII? But no ... my Mom told me that it was a very old good-luck symbol ... WAY before Hitler ... like, Rudyard Kipling had used it as a personal sort-of-logo, and printed it at the start of his books.

Anyway, the Nazis sure put this design out of circulation. Closest alternative... maybe that Isle of Man three-legged symbol?

As for Manchester United... why is this an issue? Just change it. Any good graphic designer can give you five different takes on a logo ... so just pick one that doesn't get people jumping up and down. Not hard!
    Author -- 'Drawing for Money' and 'Self-Publishing Secrets', at Jon404.com
    IP

Because it's not the logo that's the problem really, it's "New Order"
    IP