Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default mask copying, deleting in prox8 vs 9 ?

Okay, I felt like I was pretty good in 8 at previous versions in turning that pink mask on and cropping bitmaps with various shapes like ellipses, rectangles, free hand, etc. Like below:

Version 8 Mask
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	99187

Now in x9, while I love how you can get rid of an entire background with that new function..How in the heck do I do the simple things I used to do, like above, in previous versions?

Version 9; how to just mask in or out an ellipse or rectangle?

Name:	9.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	99188

Default Re: mask copying, deleting in prox8 vs 9 ?

Hello,
    also me I was trying a lot of things, but yet could not find a solution. So I am also keen to hear someones comment.
    To make a mask to get rid of the background (if not using the new function to erase background) could be managed with the shape-tool and combine/subtsrate (Ctrl + 3) but this is not a workaround for a shape-mask when picture editing in specific areas is required.

Is this a web question or a drawing question?

I have no idea. As much as I have used the program masks have always been mysterious.

One thing you can try is, create your mask shape and copy it to the clipboard.

Use the Rectangle Region Tool to create a mask rectangle. Paste your mask object onto the Mask layer. Delete the rectangle mask.

Gary, thanks for comment.
    Didnt get to the idea to just copy the shape into the mask layer to make it a mask-)

Sorry, I was vague because I was dashing off for my morning coffee and I did not try to write down the steps. It is not an entirely intuitive process.

1. Use the Rectangle Region Tool (in the Masks and Regions flyout) to draw a rectangle mask. The size is not important. This creates a Mask layer.

2. Select the Mask Painter Tool (the pink paintbrush) and click inside the area to create a mask.

3. With the Mask layer selected, draw (or paste) your mask shape on this layer.

4. Delete the rectangle mask, but leave your mask shape.

5. Cut your mask shape to the clipboard and then paste in place back onto the mask layer. The shape should now become a mask which you can invert or leave as is.

The advantage to this technique is you can use and edit the vector drawing tools to create a more accurate mask.

First off, thanks Gary. You're right this was intended for the graphics board. oops!

Tried your method and was able to cut and copy rectangles and various shapes with the other tools, however I still missed greatly two tools that I frequently used in 8...the "Shape Tool" and the "Elipse" shape tool that was usable in the mask function.

Please see my screen shot of version 8 using these tools as an example of what I would like to do in the current version.

Name:	shape tool.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	99201

You should be able to accomplish this with the method I described. Once you have created the shapes as the mask, then from the Regions and Mask fly out, select the option that reverses the mask.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    You should be able to accomplish this with the method I described.
    I just wanted to add a clarification. There needs to be a step 6:
    6. Copy Clipped Photo ... Ctrl+C ... to complete the operation.

Until I found this post, I really struggled with the new eraser tool method. For many, many common mask operations, the old method (Activate mask ... draw shape around the area you want ... cut or copy) was FAR easier and FAR more accurate. For them to completely remove it is beyond belief. The fact of the matter is that Xara needs to have both methods. I can't see a downside to that approach.

But these steps do work, even though they're a tedious approximation of the former (simple) method. Thanks for providing them.

The ins and outs of masking might be a good topic for the Xara Xone
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.