Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi,

I am having trouble smoothing out the edges of this impossible letter!!! When i convert it to xara3d4 the image has awful edges..

Please can you assist

Kind Regards

Ali
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi,

I am having trouble smoothing out the edges of this impossible letter!!! When i convert it to xara3d4 the image has awful edges..

Please can you assist

Kind Regards

Ali

I'm guessing you created this by converting two characters to editable shapes then cutting and combining them together.

Now that you have your desired hybrid character, you may find you get better results by creating it from scratch as a new native xara object - i.e. tracing over it in a new layer.

The vector shape you currently have will likely have far more nodes than is neccessary to describe the 'e' - I bet you could re-create it as a native object with just 10 or so nodes.

Rgds

Stu

Did you create it? Or did someone give it to you as a bitmap logo?

I would follow Stuart's advice (if you can). Make the symbol as large as you can and then redraw it.

What I like to do in cases like this, is to make the bitmap or vector image as big as I possibly can, and then use the Pen Tool to make a series of straight lines which I can then drag with either the Pen Tool or the Shape Editor Tool into graceful curves.

The trick is not to use too many line segments. The fewer line segments, the smoother the actual shape will be.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OpenTopic.gif 
Views:	273 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	13369  

Gary has suitably elabourated the idea I intended to convey.

With this sort of job I prefer to work with bitmaps left in their original un-smoothed form on a locked layer, usually with a transparency applied and quality set to "wireframe" too make it easier to see what you are doing.

As Gary says, to achieve the smoothest curves try to use the fewest nodes as possible.

You actually only need to use two nodes for every two points that are separated by no more than 180 degrees of arc, with careful manipulation of the two bezier control handles for each node.

Stu.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trace.gif 
Views:	208 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	13402