Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Windows 8.1 - is it all that?

From what I understood, Windows 8.1 would re-instate the 'Start' button.

My son updated his to 8.1, and sure enough there is a 'Start' button.
    But, all it seems to do is to take you from the Desktop, back to the Windows 8 tile screen.

It does not give you the start menu (like in Windows 7) that I was expecting.

Am I missing something?!

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Default Re: Windows 8.1 - is it all that?

Rik,
    From what i've read it is intentional that way.
    I spent some money on the stardock solution.( about 9$ )
    Bought the package where you also have control over the way apps are shown.
    i.e. make apps not show always fullscreen but maximized or minimized in the desktop enviroment

Hans
    Last edited by haakoo; 20 October 2013 at 10:36 AM.

Just seem absolutely crazy to introduce a button that only duplicates what you can do in the first place.
    Rest your mouse in the bottom left corner, and click, and you can go back to the tile/app screen.
    You don't need a start button for that.
    Yes. If you right click then you get some other options that might be useful.

For me, this addition of the 'Start' button is pretty useless.

Like you, Hans. I also purchased 'Start8' by Stardock, some time ago.
    Mine was only $1.99.

It works brilliantly and I love it.

I have the modernmix/start8 package for 7,99
    And yes it's working great.

Hans

Yes but the Windows button is there all the time and you don't need to go down to the desktop tile. You now can remove that tile and customise your programmes/Apps to suit yourself. Have you used Bing yet do a search say for your favourite musician/music and see how your info is displayed. Rik was it you that used two screens in your set up well you now if you want run 4 apps at one time. Me I can't think what apps I would have running, maybe to do with music, but that's it. No I think it has improved! I have now really cleaned up that chaotic start screen and got rid of half the things I would never use in a month of Sundays and it now looks not that bad.

Sorry nearly missed my main point is that you can get rid of start app that your using and boot straight into desktop in "taskbar & navigation properties" under the navigation tab.
    Last edited by Albacore; 20 October 2013 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Missed a point
    Design is thinking made visual.

How hard is it do press Windows key + D to go to the desktop?

This whole start menu thing is a tempest in tea pot.

You can set up your desktop as you normally would in Windows 7 and add the icons for your most used applications to the Taskbar. Easy enough. And for applications that you do not use that often, press the Windows button and select the application. And you are back on the desktop.

As far as I can tell, the Metro screen apart from being colorful, is only there to provide continuity with the Windows phones and tablets.

Never suggested that anything was difficult.
    I know there's a Windows key.

My point is that if you click the start button, that does the same as moving your mouse bottom left of the screen and then clicking on the little tile screen.
    That's not difficult.
    And that's why I'm saying, what's the point of adding a 'Start' button?

Yes, if you right click, then there are more options, but they could have been added to the taskbar, just as easily.

I know a lot of people who were looking forward to the 'Start' button giving them the functionally of the Windows 7 Start button.
    Upwards of 400 people who liked the fact they could find their programmes by clicking on the Start button.
    I've tried to show how they can move the tiles to where it's more convenient etc... But, all I get is... well, I'll let you imagine!

And as there's already an easy way to go to and from the desktop, why would you want to click on the new 'Start' button?
    Why add it just for that?
    Because when you click on it, it does just that.

I don't have two screens, Albacore.
    99% of the time I use a Laptop.

Rik, you of all people know what I am saying. It just seems to me that the Start button, while it was nice, is not necessary and you can get by just fine without it.

People don't like change is what is all comes down to.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Rik, you of all people know what I am saying. It just seems to me that the Start button, while it was nice, is not necessary and you can get by just fine without it.
    I agree with you Gary. And I'm saying the same. That what it does, could already be done.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    People don't like change is what is all comes down to.
    I agree with you on this as well.

I'm just saying what a lot of other people I know, expected.
    They called it a 'Start' button. Some people's expectations were raised - and now dashed.

There's clearly a need for the real 'Start' button.
    I purchased one. And many others have.

And the only point I keep trying to make (and I'm hoping someone can throw some light on it), is why introduce something that can already be done.

As for me,like stated in this thread,purchased also the stardock startbutton as it would make me go straight to my desktop.
    I know my way around the tiles too but the stardock package I purchased had another thing to it that I liked even more.
    Normally apps will run in fullscreen and you can run only two in the same screen.(in 8.1 it should be more)
    With modermix the apps will run on the desktop like ordinairy programs and you can get to them via the taskbar instead of switching with alt+tab.

Hans