Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Micro$oft just release a new security patch for IE 5.5 and 6. Get it, install it now.

Here is the story:

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/ne...chkpt=zdnn_mh_

Here is the M$ link:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...n/MS01-058.asp

The BEST is good enough!
    The BEST is good enough!

Micro$oft just release a new security patch for IE 5.5 and 6. Get it, install it now.

Here is the story:

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/ne...chkpt=zdnn_mh_

Here is the M$ link:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...n/MS01-058.asp

The BEST is good enough!
    The BEST is good enough!

Thanks.

But since I read that the FBI now launched their own Trojan called "Magic lantern" which can be installed by using the leaks in software that is normally used by malicious hackers to break into your PC, I sadly see my theory that those leaks are left on purpose proven.
    People start wondering who are the good, and who are the bad guys these days...
    Indeed, there are no more certainties: even the future isn't anymore what it used to be...
    Was Steppenwolf right?

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.

By the way: I use Opera6 and the new Pegasus mail. A far better patch than MScrap.

Do you really like Opera 6? I installed it and I wasn't impressed so I went back to Opera 5.12.

Why do you like Opera 6 better than 5.12 and what advantages does Pegasus Mail have over Outlook?

Just so as to keep this as a Xara topic, I design websites and preview them in Opera before I look at them under IE. I just like Opera much better because it's simply a pure reliable browser.

Not being a lover of Microsoft Products, I'm always looking at alternatives.

Sheffield Abella
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

Sheffield

I've been looking at Opera on and off for some years now and only now is Opera worth looking at as far as I am concerned. Versions previous to 6 could NOT be depended on to action any Javascript it found on a page. Whereas IE and Netscape would operate with Javascript with no problems, I found myself having to fire up IE or Netscape in order to get over the problem and I considered the value of both those programs (even though they weren't/aren't perfect) much more preferable to using Opera with its lack of dependability. Incidentally, I'm not a Microsoft lover either!!!

Opera v6.0, however, is a different matter, although I have now gone back to using IE again. Why? Well I'm in the UK and I order my PC bits on-line and on visiting my supplier's site (www.dabs.com) and on doing a search, it kept coming up with "No Products Found". I sent several emails to the company (and didn't get any in return I might add) complaining about this. Then one day I went to the site using IE and did another search not expecting anything to come up -but it did. Conclusion - Opera does NOT recognise the scripting language the search feature is written in (or some other equally obscure problem) and I have Opera to identify as IE5.0 as well. Whatever, I've now gone back to using IE - although I haven't removed Opera 6.0 yet!

Essentially, I've not found Opera any good with Javascript until the release of version 6 but even that has its problems!

You ask what advantages Pegusus has over Outlook. Well I don't know about Pegusus as I use Eudora 5.1. But there is no way I would EVER use Outlook - that's rather like playing with fire with its security risks. It seems to me to be the ONLY program targetted by these toe-rags who write viruses. If I may, I'll ask YOU a question. Why should I start using Outlook when it is targetted by all these viruses that are floating about the web. I'd much rather use a secure program than risk infecting my PC - and I do have Norton Anti-Virus installed!

Tracey

[This message was edited by Traceyp on December 19, 2001 at 15:51.]

As I just recently installed Opera 6, I don't know yet why I should prefer it to 5.12. One of the positive differences is that it is even more critical to illegal cookies, and also that it seems to be even quicker.
    I use Opera from version 4, and I hope the difference between 5 and 6 is as impressive as the diff. between 4 and 5. But I have to discover the new version.
    As for Pegasus: Eudora and Pegasus don't have the leaks Outlook had (and still has, only they don't talk about them on demand of MS), but in free mode Eudora installs spyware on your system to adapt their publicity to your taste. If they should have stated this clearly on their site it would've been acceptable, but they only give some vague hint, and that is not fair. Pegasus is free and installs only Pegasus. It is at least as friendly as Outlook Express and simply honest.
    I mean: did you ever wonder what this .dat file in your cookies folder does? Did you try to open it? And the IE folders with the alphanumeric names in your Temporary Internet Folder that keep on getting fatter and fatter although they are empty at first sight?
    Why does IE as default look for updates but doesn't find any although they are there? How come there are hidden files that you don't know of in which all youir mail, codes and downloaded/visited sites are kept? Why?
    No, I prefer Pegasus (or Eudora in paid mode) and Opera because under DOS and with the correct instructions how to I did open some hidden files from Windows. Not only these files take megabytes and megabyte of your HDD, but even my Internet banking codes were there for all to see, all my mail, every downloaded image, every access code, password,... And it is not about "I have something to hide", but about the fundamental human right of having a private life that no-one should mess with in a secretive way.

Big Brother: we're watching you.

Tracey,

Of course you are right about the javascripts etc. One other problem with version5 was that I could not upload any images with it to for example this forum. A third one was that it wasn't supported by some sites that use special encrypting and that only work with IE and Netscape4.

On the other hand, when IE gets slow because my provider's server is "overcrowded", Opera often still gets through. So personally I use Opera for 95% of the time, and swithch to IE only when it is really necessary.

I also like the way it saves complete webpages, the fact that you can take a look at the code of frames pages, and most of all the fact that it does not clutter my HDD with secret files that simply take a lot of space without being of any use to me.

About Outlook: people use it like they use Macs, because they are used to it and prefer not to think about the consequences.

By the way: I was able to upload an attachment with Opera6. Only, the remote server closed the connection several times. But as I persisted, it finally worked.

[This message was edited by Erik Heyninck on December 20, 2001 at 09:42.]

Eric

So far I've only found that one problem with Opera 6.0 so perhaps I'm being a little hasty in reverting to IE. As I say, I've still got Opera installed so maybe I'll give it another chance and give it a good thrashing - see how it stands up.

Regarding Eudora - there are two of us here who use it in Sponsored mode. As far as I'm aware what you call "spyware" is just a means of finding out what sort of interests we have so they can upload suitable ads. Occasionally it asks us to send data to them but you have the option of saying no and generally we do say no. In fact the program has asked neither of us to send anything for quite some time now. Apart from this we've got nothing to hide. Sure from time to time it checks to see if there are any new ads to download but that's no real problem either. My PC has been behaving itself quite well over the past three to four months and I've only got 22 ad files! Can't really complain at that and I've no evidence, or even a suspicion, that I've suffered because of "spyware".

Tracey