Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Creating a help file & video

I am using Pro X9.
    1) I need to create a help manual for some online software and would like it to look like the xara help file with a Content tab on the left, internal links to pictures and text etc.
    I have tried doing it as a pdf file which works but not ideal.

Any pointers please - is there a template somewhere I can use?

2) I would also like to create a video of actually using this software online.
    Is this possibel with Xara?
    If not, how are the tutorial videos created on xarazone?

Thanks, brilliant software.

Default Re: Creating a help file & video

You can create a Web Document which is like a cross between a website and a print document.

Just recreate the Help file look. If necessary, do a screen capture of the Help file and use the screen capture as a template to build the page.

Hi Gary,

So basically make it a xara website?

Ideally it needs to be a pdf file or such as need to upload it so customers can open it online.

The most popular help authoring systems are RoboHelp and Help & Manual. Both (primarily) use Word sources, but can be authored directly in the authoring system. Both output to a variety of end-point types, such as in-application help, HTML for local and or web site use, etc.

I used Robo for years before Adobe bought it. In the past couple years I have used H&M. I like H&M better.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Just to clarify In Xara version 9 programs a web document and a website document are two different (related but different) things. A web document is one single scrollable page that is kind of like a word document exported to html. You can scroll through the pages with out need for a full navigation set up. A website document doesn't scroll like that and a website document supports all website creation features while a web document does not.

For videos this is something that Xara does not do. you need a screen recording program there are many, for my videos I get by with Fastone Capture but for a professional Software demo you may need to look into something else. As well you would need a video editing program

For my tutorial videos I use Xara for graphics and the intros are Xara presentations that I record from full screen preview as I use the keyboard to progress through the steps. The intros and the actual tutorial video are put together using Video Pad video editor.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Ok, thanks.
    I think the best option is a xara website as the help file is 20 pages long.

Well a web document (not a website) can be scrolled with a scroll mouse or swiped on a mobile device.

This tutorial was created as a Web Document http://www.gwpriester.com/backgrounds-tutorial/ Notice how easy it is to navigate.

You can also link to specific pages.