Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Back n forth between Pboro/Brixton/Goa and Thailand

Default Creating a image from a PNG to import to X3D

Guys I guess you get this asked alot, Ive got the tut Bob made but thats ok for a 1 edged image.
    What I need to do is to find a quick and easy way to put a sometimes elaborate PNG cut in photoshop and then put it into X3D to make animations from it. OR several at same time.

I have had X3D for a few years and up till now Ive been doing it by making the image into a font and just adding the texture to it. But Ive just got Extreme Pro and THOUGHT there would be an easier way - say just to import/export again lol But seems unlikely.

Ive also searched widely for any X3D Tutorials and apart from the basic ones there is none. It seems to me X3D is looked upon as the poor relative of Xara - OR that its so basic that nobody bothers to do them. But Ive seen over the years some very nice X3D Gifs made and it would be nice for those users to pass on their knowledge as I do with Ps.

Ive used the search but doesnt seem to be 1 particular post that says look here.

Again, appologize if this sounds boring or trivial its just that Id like to use X3D to its utmost.

Ta guys

Default Re: Creating a image from a PNG to import to X3D

In the first place it needs to be a vector shape, so create your art in Xara Xtreme (because that is what you have listed) copy this and paste intoX3D this will give you a basic shape, export the image somewhere and apply that as a texture and adjust to fit, then you have it.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Yes Wizard I get the idea. Its just the 'Create your art' bit. As All I want to do is to make a vector from the PNG.
    I was HOPING there was a easier way than to cut the image (make the path) again as it had just taken a long time to take all the background from it already. so to cut out each small piece again isgoing to take twice as long.

Is there antway to import the PNG into Xtreme then to make a selection of it to leave the path outline instead of going all round it etc then copying it into X3D?

Or is there any other software available I could do that selection method?
    If not then the font method is much faster. And Id like to experiment using text vectors as Ive not tried that before.

Well the image is always going to be a bitmap considering which program it was made in, you could try the bitmap tracer and see what kind of results you get from that. I think there is an online service that will convert the image to a vector but I don't know the name of it, nor do I know if what you get would be a usable vector or not. I kind of think that using the proper settings in bitmap tracer you can get very good results. Black panther posted the settings he had found to give photographic results on XU some time ago, but I don't remember what the settings are. I bet someone here knows though.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I will try to do a search for his posts.
    I know I could do it the long time invested way Im just trying to find the easiest way to get that image into X3D. And you know how long it takes to do a detailed piece properly.
    The font way does turn out great and fast its just that I WOULD like to use vectors.
    I was thinking of trying Adobe Illustrator and see IF that would do it.

I couldn't find it but will try again. In the mean time here are a couple of links that may be helpful. I keep hearing about vector magic and that is the one I couldn't remember the name of.

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...racer+settings

http://vectormagic.com/home
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Thank you Wizard.
    I try to put tuts fot X3D onto my Ps site and theres been a few got into it but Id like to find time to get deeper into it and experiment more cause at the noment I know Im not getting the most out of it and Im mainly using it for making Avatars and namebars. Which is fine Id just like to make better ones lol

I looked for those bitmap settings I spoke of but couldn't find them. I at one time had them saved on my computer also but after my hard drive problem I can no longer find them. I'll keep looking though.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509